I have been searching on and off for years with no avail for a simple light switch that turns off after a preset amount of time to install on our closets. I just want a regular ass looking rocker switch, not one with a dozen timer buttons, not one with a motion sensor.

I know I could just use a smart switch and have HA turn it off, but I’m waiting for TP-Link to release a Matter ready firmware update before buying more.

I guess I could just use a sonoff relay, but I really don’t think this particular application should require smart functionality.

Anyone know of a switch like what I’m trying to find?

• oldGregg@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Look for one for a bathroom exhaust fan and just wire it up to lights instead

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Why look for something so complicated when you could use a momentary switch that is activated by the door to the closet? Basically like the light in your fridge.

• kittenbridgeasteroidOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t want to have to run wires since our attic is a nightmare (blown in insulation 3ft deep), and I don’t want wires just running in the open.

What I’m looking for really isn’t super complicated. It could easily be done by Lutron or someone making a few small changes to a motion light since they already have the firmware to select shutoff times.

• kittenbridgeasteroidOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

That… Isn’t the worst idea. My HA server is close to all of them, so I would just have to add a RF blaster.

And I thought about the momentary switch, but it would be a PITA to wire it so that the wires were hidden.

• NeoNachtwaechter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

For me, it’s a classical case for a Sonoff Basic (or Mini) with Tasmota, then write 1 rule and it is done. The smartness helps “on the outside”: I can watch the state in Home Assistant.

The “non-smart” way to do this is a momentary switch and a timer relay module.

• kittenbridgeasteroidOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah, that’s the route I’ll take once I start rolling out my Hal9000 project since it’s the best spot in each room for the human presence detectors. I was just hoping there was a $5 Chinese switch that would die about the time I was ready to install.

• thatsnothowyoudoit@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

We use simple, cheap motion detector bulb sockets for our closet lights. Open the door light goes on, close the door, light will eventually go off.

Many of our closets have had their doors replaced with curtains, and the solution works just as well.

Even the cheapest motion-detection sockets have a configurable sensitivity and timeout.

While we’re all-in on home automation (conditional everything including heat pumps and lighting) the closets were a case of “simple is better).

Otherwise I second the recommendation for the bathroom fan timer.

• kittenbridgeasteroidOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I knew I was over thinking things, and the solution would be a super simple product. Thank you!