of course he was afraid of russian nuukes. this only prompted Ukrainian engineers to bypass use of starlink entirely and current sea drones, like the one used in second Kerch bridge strike, or these used against SIG tanker and Olenegorsky Gornyak landing ship use domestic technology only

• skillissuerOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

fyi images posted from kbin this way aren’t visible on lemmy for some reason

• ShittyKopper [they/them]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

lemmy is the mastodon of the threadiverse in that it invents a standard and expects everyone to follow it and because it’s the largest of it’s type you can’t really do anything about it

i bet what’s going on is that kbin is attaching images in the mastodon/microblog way and lemmy expects inline markdown images and doesn’t try to extract the attached images.

(fun fact: lemmy custom emojis are just “macros” for markdown images and not real emojis like the rest of the fedi standardized on (which is how you get things like the hexbear problem of remote emojis being gigantic))

• self@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

lemmy has a lot of questionable design decisions, and the justifications I’ve seen for them on GitHub have very frequently been disappointing

on the other hand, it’s a lot easier for me to understand and modify lemmy’s rust-based stack than it is for me to comprehend the PHP kbin is written in, which is a big part of why this instance ended up with lemmy

with that said, holy fuck am I looking forward to contributing to a lemmy fork with better development priorities one of these days

• self@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I’m in a similar boat. ours is also a minor instance-specific fork, though trying to get our changes upstreamed is on my todo list (as are more changes — it’s kind of amazing how threadbare lemmy’s mod tools are, when a lot of them wouldn’t even be hard to implement)

• downpunxx@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

not a fan of lemmy, probably having something to do with the fact it’s namesake was a man who owned the largest personal collection of nazi memorabilia for years until he died, so, tough titty i guess

• CluckN@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I also heard he named it Lemmy because whenever he saw a litter of kittens he’d strap on his steel-toed boots and go, “Lemmy at them”.