of course he was afraid of russian nuukes. this only prompted Ukrainian engineers to bypass use of starlink entirely and current sea drones, like the one used in second Kerch bridge strike, or these used against SIG tanker and Olenegorsky Gornyak landing ship use domestic technology only

• gerikson@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Russian propagandists tell people what they want to hear. For longtermists like Muskovitj, it’s fear of Global Thermonuclear War. For trads, it’s Orthodox faith and subjugation of women. For fascists, it’s implied antisemitism and general racism. For tankies, it’s having a counterweight to American imperialism.

The stupid thing is that medium to long term, Musk would sell more Teslas and Starlinks to a free unoccupied Ukraine than a broke Russia under permanent sanctions. But I guess he finds the other arguments intriguing.

• wagesj45@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t think Musk is a man driven by what is in his self interest. He has some underlying pathology that drives him to be his own worst enemy. He’s a lot like Trump in that regard.

• swlabr@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Personally my mental model of Musk is that whenever he does something, I think, “is this what an idiot who thinks he will eventually go to mars would do?” Then it’s really a matter of figuring out the path to the answer being yes. Can’t go to mars if you die from nuclear war, or something. I don’t try very hard to think about this.

• gerikson@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Starlink causing a Kessler event and grounding all spaceflight would be delicious irony, but I believe their orbits are too low for this to be a problem. Instead they just annoy astronomers and Russians.

• Jonathan Hendry@iosdev.space
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

@gerikson

On the other hand, Kessler wrote: “Some of the most environmentally dangerous activities in space include large constellations such as those initially proposed by the Strategic Defense Initiative in the mid-1980s”

SDI’s Brilliant Pebbles originally proposed a 10,000 unit LEO constellation.

Starlink is already close to 5,000, and Musk wants 30,000. Add in the Chinese effort estimated at ~13,000. OneWeb has 500-600 up there.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

@gerikson

“would pose minimal risk for launches continuing past LEO”

I suppose so, and yet you could say the same about aircraft flying over the launch site on launch day. A collision is unlikely due to the speed of the rocket and the short time it would be at aircraft altitudes.

But I’m pretty sure they still don’t want anyone flying over the launch pad.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

@gerikson

Even if it doesn’t rapidly degenerate into a full-blown Kessler Event, I’d have to think there’d be enough going on there to increase uncertainty and risk.

• self@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

he is absolutely practicing which buttons to push to end an eventual Martian worker rebellion

• okamiueru@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Shouldn’t be up to him. I’d consider treason charges for this. Of course, he’ll suffer no consequences as always

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Really? I thought he mentioned that she felt like a special fascie manic dream girl and they both seemed not simulated. Guess it all changed after she danced as a robot at the human in a robot suit presentation.

• jonhendry@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I’d think being there to take a photo of her mid-Caesarian section would have convinced him otherwise.

• skillissuerOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

fyi images posted from kbin this way aren’t visible on lemmy for some reason

• ShittyKopper [they/them]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

lemmy is the mastodon of the threadiverse in that it invents a standard and expects everyone to follow it and because it’s the largest of it’s type you can’t really do anything about it

i bet what’s going on is that kbin is attaching images in the mastodon/microblog way and lemmy expects inline markdown images and doesn’t try to extract the attached images.

(fun fact: lemmy custom emojis are just “macros” for markdown images and not real emojis like the rest of the fedi standardized on (which is how you get things like the hexbear problem of remote emojis being gigantic))

• self@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

lemmy has a lot of questionable design decisions, and the justifications I’ve seen for them on GitHub have very frequently been disappointing

on the other hand, it’s a lot easier for me to understand and modify lemmy’s rust-based stack than it is for me to comprehend the PHP kbin is written in, which is a big part of why this instance ended up with lemmy

with that said, holy fuck am I looking forward to contributing to a lemmy fork with better development priorities one of these days

• self@awful.systems
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

I’m in a similar boat. ours is also a minor instance-specific fork, though trying to get our changes upstreamed is on my todo list (as are more changes — it’s kind of amazing how threadbare lemmy’s mod tools are, when a lot of them wouldn’t even be hard to implement)

• downpunxx@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

not a fan of lemmy, probably having something to do with the fact it’s namesake was a man who owned the largest personal collection of nazi memorabilia for years until he died, so, tough titty i guess

• CluckN@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

I also heard he named it Lemmy because whenever he saw a litter of kittens he’d strap on his steel-toed boots and go, “Lemmy at them”.

• Poppy But Hornier@cdrom.tokyo
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

@downpunxx @skillissuer “Great idea to let companies continue to have a monopoly on a resource instead of nationalizing it. They totally won’t take advantage of being the only real option for people and not being controlled by the government (and therefore accountable to the people).”

And people are still not suspicious with what Elon is doing??? :neofox_angry:

• Mark vW@mastodon.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

@downpunxx LOL. That would be Musk’s wildest dream. The just compensation he would get would be astounding. Better to tax his space stuff…enough so that we could afford the regulatory apparatus sufficient to protect ourselves from it…

• jonhendry@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

There’s a SCOTUS case that says the government only has to pay a fair market value, not the “inflated by the government’s need for the property” value. In the case a guy had bought a tugboat and fixed it up quite a bit. When WW2 started the government sought to buy it, and he insisted on a price well above the cost of the boat and the improvements, arguing that WW2 had increased demand so he should get a higher price.

So Musk would get a lot, but maybe not as much you’d think.

• Mark vW@mastodon.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

@jonhendry Another huge reason why nationalization would be really stupid. Starlink’s value can be dichotomized into two categories: (1) Business activity that conflicts with US foreign policy, and (2) Business activity that doesn’t conflict with US foreign policy. I suspect the latter value vastly exceeds the former value. In a condemnation proceeding, the US would have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle–what a waste. Then…managing Starlink’s business as a federal entity (wtf?)…

• self@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

it’s weird that the only thing you’ve posted in this thread is links to wav files of the sound of guillotine blades cutting through the air

• Mark vW@mastodon.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

@jonhendry Yeah…but such a trial may require a jury, and that uncertainty very often ups the market value considerably above FMV. It would be stupid to nationalize, given the property is not unique (like real property), presents no barrier to entry. Besides, regulation and taxation are available.