It’s time for me to build a new gaming computer. I’m looking to build something that will last me the next 5 years, my last 5 year build is at its end.

My planned build:

6000MT/s 64GB 32x2 gskill trident z5

PCIe 4.0 m.2 nvme 2TB mushkin vortex

Asus prime z670p

AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

Case, PSU, water cooling are just fun extras.

I use a lot of VMware, hence the memory. And I game a bunch, mostly EFT (tarkov) of late.

I like AMD, I’ve always had an AMD CPU, usually with Nvidia GFX.

I’m want to try AMD for graphics. I run 2k graphics, but I see myself getting a 4k 27inch freesync monitor in the future.

I’m looking at the 7900 xtx, it’s just super pricey. It’s about a year old, so it doesn’t feel like a good decision.

I’m looking for a graphics card recommendation, I’d appreciate any other comments or suggestions for the rest of my build.

• Ghoelian@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Kinda off-topic but, why did people start calling ram speed MT/s instead of MHz? I started noticing it in LTT videos a while ago but never really figured out why they changed it.

• Trashboat@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s more technically correct. 6000mt/s ram is actually operating at 3000mhz, but is called 6000 because of the “double” part of “double data rate”. Colloquially it’s easy to just say 6000mhz because that’s the verbiage used for everything else, but it’s not entirely accurate. Whether that really matters is up to you ahaha. I don’t remember exactly what caused LTT to switch, but part of me wants to say it was a petty response to some “well ackshually” comments on YT

• ninjan@lemmy.mildgrim.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

4k in the future but want to buy GPU now really only means you should get the 7900 XTX. The 4090 would be even better fit but if you all ready think the 7900 XTX is pricy well then it seems out of the question with a 4090. 7800 is a good deal if you want something fresh but it’s not much of a 4k card now and even less so in a couple of years. Though of course depends on what games you play and your view on upscaling. If you think FSR/DLSS are ok then a 4070 Ti is probably a good fit, using DLSS 3 it’s perfectly fine for 4k and DLSS will mean it will work in 5 years as well (unless Nvidia makes DLSS 4 and completely drop 3…)

• Klaymore@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Using a 6650 xt and FSR balanced to play Baldur’s Gate 3 at 4K looked pretty good on a 4K TV, although a monitor is gonna be closer to your face and you’re gonna need more vram if you’re playing those really new AAA games at 4k and 1440p.

• Sha'ul@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The 4K Freesync isn’t going to provide much because the evidence for pushing that says there wil not be an 8800 XT or 8900 XT. Maybe in 4 to 5 years there will be a 9900 XT 4K Freesync graphics card.

I’m going 4K but that will wait until after I buy 5080 or 5090 to push 4K everything. Right now, only 4090 can do it and nothing less than 4090.

Given the future of game engines, I would recommend 4080 over XTX to power future games. You will have to replace the XTX sooner based on the newest game you have at anytime. Watch the price of the 4080 in 2 to 3 months for a good sale.

For VMware, beng productive work, what do the benchmarks show for Intel vs AMD with VM?

• Scout@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I just got the Nitro+ 7900 xtx with the xproro l case and I love it way more than I thought I would. But yes it is really pricy and probably over priced.