I gave it a try the other day and really enjoyed it! Really nice cartoon art style / setting. The above-ground portion of the game feels like a solid clone of the Anno series games. Then below ground adds a fun twist of exploration / resource gathering into the mix.

Really looking forward to when it releases now!

• !ozoned@lemmy.world@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah, it’s a LOT of fun. I always liked the Steamworld style for games. And I enjoy that they always try something new.

It has a great feel, the art is great. Apparently the demo ends before you get to the tower defense type mode. But I think they nailed the Anno feel while keeping it less complex and more interesting for me.

• ArmoredCavalry@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I really think they did a good job with having a lot of systems, yet still being pretty straightforward to understand. There were only a couple things that I didn’t immediately understand (even without reading tutorial text).

Definitely can’t wait to see if the full game holds to that pattern!

• Jarmer@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Completely agree. Usually with these colony builder style games, I run into several problems where I just don’t understand how the systems are implemented, and the game does a poor job of explaining stuff. But on this Steamworld Build, I never ran into that. Everything made sense, and I loved expanding and placing my buildings, and moving stuff around etc… REALLY well done on their part. Very much looking forward to the release.

• LennethAegis@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Tower Defense? There’s more than just city building on top and dungeon diving underground? How many genres did they throw in this time?

• !ozoned@lemmy.world@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

IDK. But from what I’ve heard and seen of the trailer, there will be a sort of tower defense thing in the mines. IDK what it’ll be like, but seems interesting.

• winterstillness@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I loved it and it’ll be a day 1 purchase for me. Amazing how they’ve nailed every one of their games considering how differently they play (e.g. Dig, Heist, Quest).

I’m happy to support the devs and the SteamWorld “universe” they’ve built.

• PenguinJuice@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Damn I didn’t even know about this game!! This is right up my alley! Thank you! Wishlisted the fuck out of it

• Glaive0@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was super excited to hear they’ve got another game coming! I’ve done all of their others and had at least a good time with each!

• Boabab@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I played it for a while and was pleasantly surprised! I’m pretty sure I’m going to buy it at some point

• kiddblur@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I haven’t tried the demo this time around, so I’m not sure if it’s different from the last next fest, but I really enjoyed it back then. Not all the steam world games are for me, but I really love the aesthetic and that they just throw every genre at it to see what sticks. I’m excited for this to come out to play on steam deck

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wanted to, but it claimed controller support and didn’t have it and I can’t be bothered with controller configuration on my Steam deck for a demo.

• Jarmer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same! Dig 2 was sooooo good. And there aren’t many like it really. Searching for all the powerups, making notes about spots on the map. Loved it. Dig 3 would be an instant purchase for me, I hope they get around to it next after Build.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I would have been pretty close to perfectly satisfied just adding an “endless mode” DLC that randomized areas and did something to make power up progression feel bigger. I used to play the hell out of the browser mining game motherlode and this is the first example of mining feeling kind of similar that I can think of.

• Domiku@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks for unlocking a memory for me! I played so much motherlode — I think my friend and I discovered it in the school computer lab. It had a great soundtrack too!

• AlteredStateBlob@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have no relation to Steamworld overall, but I like me some digging type builder games. It’s decent enough concept and it felt pretty well executed. I found it to be very restrictive in building underground and didn’t find enough proper space to build and actual underground thing that wasn’t all utilitarian. Personally, I didn’t enjoy that. It’s a fault of a lot of these “clear out space and build there” games.

All in all, as someone who has no feelings about Steamworld, but a bunch on that kind of gameplay including the Anno style various pop types with various needs and all, I don’t think I’ll want to buy or play this.