Share your shave of the day for Thursday!

• sgrdddy@sub.wetshaving.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Prep: Splash of Cool Water
    Razor: Gillette - Aristocrat 16 (UK)
    Blade: Gillette - Platinum (7)
    Lather: Summer Break Soaps - Remote Learning
    Brush: Declaration Grooming - B13 Dogwood/Briar Hybrid 28mm (21 uses)
    Post Shave: Stirling - Mountain Man

Gear Pic :: Video

䷀ General Notes

As we work with the Slurry Lather method with a high-density badger, I’m going to try a longer soap-load and a wetter brush.

䷀ Razor and Blade Notes

(Gillette - Aristocrat 16 - UK ::: Gillette - Platinum ‹7 uses›)

Wonderful pairing! A bit of blade feel, but it was smooth and controlled. Close cut.

No tugging or irritation.

Razor and Blade Performance/Comfort Rating: 4 out of 5 (Very Good)

䷀ Soap Notes

(Summer Break Soaps - Remote Learning)

Them: Doritos

Scent: nacho cheesy corn tortilla chips is the goal here. I imagine that’s a tough challenge. While smelling the dry tub and the wet lather, what comes to me first is a cookie sweet type scent that reminds me of some cinnamon schoolbook cookies from Trader Joes. It’s a nice scent, so I don’t mind if my brain never switches away from that.

If I know it is supposed to be corn chips, then I can definitely see that in the scent. So that’s cool.

But even if I set my brain to try to find a cheesy note in there, I really can’t.

I think it might be more realistic with a hint-of-cumin type scent in there, but of course, that could make it hard on skin maybe.

While I may not really get a Doritos scent from it, I think it’s a great attempt, and I know that I like shaving with it anyway.

Scent Strength: 4/10, present during shaving.

Lather… Today’s try was to load for twice as long as previously done … 40 swirls. also to make sure there was lots of water in the brush.

I did both of those things, but the slurry did not develop like it does with other brush types. I think the excess water inhibited the loading of the soap from the puck. This brush just has such soft tips.

I went back for another 10 swirls when the brush had less water in it and that was good. I got a more normal slurry then.

I think with this kind of soft-tipped high-density badger, you won’t be able to have it hold all the water at the outset. Load from the soap with a merely “wet” brush and not a “very wet” brush. Then add water later, either by dipping tips in a bowl or sprinking from the tap.

With the tweaks i put in on the first pass, the second and third went just fine and normal for a Slurry lather. Super slick and highly protected.

Hydration: Perfect (for me)

• 17 sec load with a Very Wet brush
    • = 4 passes of lather

Bowl: No Bowl

䷀ Brush Notes

(Declaration Grooming - B13 Dogwood/Briar Hybrid 28mm ‹21 uses›)

Great brush with soft tips. Don’t get to experience it as much with this fast method, but It’s superb nonetheless.

During the Shave Feel:
      Cheeks: Felt blade but comfortable
      Neck: Felt blade but comfortable
    After the Shave Closeness:
      Cheeks: Near BBS - About as close as I’ll ever get
      Neck: Cut flush to where I just see the tips (above average for me)

Ending of Blades Ledger - entry form and the data spreadsheet