As quoted from the linked post.

It looks like you’re part of one of our experiments. The logged-in mobile web experience is currently unavailable for a portion of users. To access the site you can log on via desktop, the mobile apps, or wait for the experiment to conclude.

This is separate from the API issue. This will actually BLOCK you from even viewing reddit on your phone without using the official app.

Archive.org link in case the post is removed.

https://web.archive.org/save/https%3A%2F%2Fold.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fhelp%2Fcomments%2F135tly1%2Fhelpdid_reddit_just_destroy_mobile_browser_access%2Fjim40zg%2F

• Sat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s getting worse by the minute. I really really hope Lemmy usage picks up.

• sgt_fridge@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It seriously is. I’ve been on the site for all of 30 mins now and I am loving it so much more than reddit

• StrangeWorrier@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Why? It’s a less mature platform with less features and not enough content. I get the idea of it being attractive but it’s like Mastadon without the content you’ve got an uphill climb.

• altz3r0@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

The main reason is that although the concessions we make may seem ever so insignificant, they pile up and dettach you from what you were looking for in the first place. You barely see your acquaintances posts on instagram or facebook anymore. Twitter is on it’s way to become a cesspool. Every new Reddit “feature” just makes the experience worse. It won’t be long for those platforms to all converge into a big mind grinder for propaganda.

In fediverse there is no valuation seeking to ruin things, and there won’t be for the foreseeable future, so it’s good ground to build upon, it’s just good sense.

Take the content problem for example. You can think of that as an opportunity to be the content you want to see.

• SenorBolsa@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

It’s a less mature platform with less features

That’s why I like it. It literally has every feature I used or wanted on reddit already.

• kratoz29@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Well, for startes, the mobile web version does not sucks balls, I don’t see that as baby steps tbh.

• unceme@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It feels a lot more snappy, clean, and modern. I think most of that is because it hasn’t accumulated a lot of the bloat and feature creep that Reddit has over the years. The biggest downside, though, is that the community is much smaller and there isn’t a lot of the niche content that Reddit is so good for.

• yrnst@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

As soon as more of those niche communities start to pop up, there won’t be much reason not to use it over Reddit. It’s like a back-to-basics version of Reddit.

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Exactly. Every advantage I hear that Reddit has over Lemmy comes from the community, not the platform. Add or move those communities to Lemmy and I don’t think people will see much reason to use Reddit.

• OriginalTrainerEcho@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

The struggle is going to be getting the community to actually move over here.

Like it or not, Lemmy takes work to use and understand. It’s not the best metaphor, but Lemmy is a custom built PC whereas Reddit is a plug-and-play console. Mix that with the growing pains new platforms need to go through, and it’ll be tricky to pull new people in.

It took me about 20-30 minutes to get a handle on what’s going on, and hopefully it gets simpler as more people join!

• sake@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 year ago

Maybe I already had the right models in my brain, but for me I just created an account and started using it like reddit. Only thing different are the different servers.

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

Finding and subscribing to communities on other instances is not slick enough. I hope it improves. It would be nice if people could discover and subscribe to communities without even having to think about which instance they are on.

Other than that, everything seems very straightforward.

• pillarist@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

Yeah but, referencing your analogy, if you want knowledgeable and informative conversation, you want to talk to your custom PC buddy, not the friends who only know how to plug and play. The comments sections on Lemmy are not dumpster fires like on Reddit

• unceme@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I hope so, I just hope that it actually gets some traction in the wake of all this instead of getting a modest bump and then mostly dying out again, which is what seems like the most likely direction. I have faith though

• unceme@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

that’s fair, I exclusively used old reddit but I never touched RES for whatever reason

• frostycakes@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

And there was a time when the same could be said for Reddit. Is Lemmy perfect? Of course not, but at least we have the ability to build something better instead of making the hippo dance to our beat, as it were.

Not to mention there’s a lot of those features that have been added over the years that we could do without. Nobody’s clamoring for an RPAN clone over here (I hope), or for three different ways to DM/chat with people.

• Communist@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Because it doesn’t actively try to make your experience worse

The problems with lemmy are actively trying to be solved, the problems with reddit are artificially created in order to make the user miserable.

• Fr1shez
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah, there’s a really nice feel to when dealing with something simply.

spoiler

plus, instead of remembering all the key combines, you can click below which is diff from reddit app. Finally, accidental spoilers are no more!

• pillarist@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m loving it, there isn’t half as much karma farming bs and pointless arguing in any of the subs I’ve joined. The content will come if folks don’t give in and go back.

• loops@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

What sort of content do you want? I’m fine with what’s her right now, but I’m more about discussion and knowledge.

• Kapitel42@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

So far it seems like a lot of the non technerd side of reddit is missing, things like diy ore Brewing dont seem to be hear yet (or i just didnt find them)