• jplate8@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Okay but raster images can’t represent circles either, since they’re just approximations using squares

• zero_iq@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

And many “circles” aren’t circles either, but 2D torus approximations. The edge of a true circle is made of infinitesimally small points so would be invisible when drawn. And even if you consider a filled circle, how could you be sure you aren’t looking at a 1-torus with an infinitessimally small hole? Or an approximation of all the set of all points within a circle?

Clearly, circles are a scam.

• Kogasa@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

A 1-torus is a circle, you mean an annulus. You do NOT want to make this mistake at a topologist dinner party, trust me.

• zero_iq@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Damn, so what’s the name of the shape that’s a flat donut with an inner and outer circular perimeters? i.e. a filled circle with another smaller radius circular area subtracted from it. Or 2D cross section of a torus seen perpendicularly to the plane that intersects the widest part of the torus. A squished donut, or chubby circle, if you like.

• clemdemort@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Well I’d argue vector image can represent a real circle but what’s on the screen will never be one.

Also why is this on Lemmy Linux?

• CloverSi@lemmy.comfysnug.space
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Titles like this annoy me. If you have something interesting to say - which is the case here - say what it is. No need to obfuscate the topic. It wastes time for everyone.

Anyway, it’s kinda hilarious that the only way to make a proper circle in PDFs is with line caps. What a bizarre format. I hope it’s succeeded by something better sooner rather than later, I can’t think of any time they haven’t been a pain to work with.

• QuazarOmega@lemy.lol
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

What a bizarre format.

You should have seen my face when I discovered that it even supports 3D graphics, but you can probably count the functional readers on your fingers… and they’re all proprietary.
      Honestly not surprised, PDF feels like a taped together format that is at the whims of Adobe, supporting all those exotic features would be hell and I would not want to be in the position of the person who takes care of that. At this point it feels like a shittier website without responsiveness

• hallettj@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve been saying this for years! If properties of a shape cannot be expressed with finite precision then how can that shape exist in a universe with clunky restrictions like the planck length?