Hi folks!

I have a sonos system from my pre self hosting days and it’s much too expensive to exchange for something else atm.

Since today, I can’t use my music subscriptions anymore and I don’t have any music stored locally. Reason is a giant service outage at sonos.

I know, it’s the classic argument for cutting the cord. My question now is, how would you do it? Just pirate music since I have a subscription and am entitled to listen to music?

Btw. the issue is with sonos cloud services so the music services are available everywhere but in sonos. If I had a way to stream music from apple or amazon in my homenetwork, sonos should be able to pick it up.

Also, what do people do with sonos products? Do they get jailbroken/rooted or is that not a thing?

Thanks for reading. Have a good one.

• Strit@lemmy.linuxuserspace.show
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

If you have no local music and no physical music media, you are pretty much out of luck.

I mean, when you subscribe to services you understand there is the possibility that the service might go unavailable at some point. Some times it’s just temporary, but others are permanent (like Google Stadia).

I make a habit out of not relying on streaming services. If I really like something, music or video, I buy the physical disk.

Sorry, I don’t have an answer or solution for you.

I rip my physical media and put it on my Jellyfin server, so I can stream it where ever I am.

• slaecker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

This.

Having a subscription doesn’t mean you have the right to pirate when the service goes down. You only own what you buy.

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Thanks for answering. I do the same with my blu rays and dvds but I haven’t had local music for years so I will have to look at that.

My problem also is that not apple music is down but sonos, which is not a subscription service but physical hardware that I have bought. The old „kill switch“ problem so to speak.

I‘ll look into finding a solution that makes me able to go around online obligation.

Have a good day. :)

• Synapse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Physical disks can be challenging to find nowdays. I buy my music from bandcamp, steam and other similar sites. Then, just like you, I put them on my Jellyfin for strearming to my devices.

I don’t think i’ve spent more money than someone that’s subscribed to spotify for 10years, plus i’ve got ownership over the media i’ve purchased and most of my money when to the artists.

• LiveLM@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Just pirate music since I have a subscription and am entitled to listen to music?

Yup.
    You can get DRM-Free music from Bandcamp and I know some artists also offer DRM-Free purchases on their Merch Stores if you’d rather properly buy your music.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I would add to this that you should at least look for a direct sale method before flying the black flag. On the rare occasion I find a new artist that I like a lot, I check to see if they have their own website where I can buy mp3s/flac. They often do (which I realize may just be down to the types of music I listen to) and I can purchase there and give them well deserved cash that doesn’t go to scumbag recording label executives. Otherwise it’s yt-dlp or Lidarr.

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll check it out.

• indy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Depending on which model you have, you may be able to play via bluetooth, AUX line-in, optical in, or AirPlay.

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I actually followed your advice yesterday (everything is ok again now) and streamed from my phone. Thanks :)

• glimse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

If you want to drop Sonos entirely, there’s still a market for even their S1 line of products. eBay time!

I’d like to piggyback on this as I inherited tons of S1 gear (4 Amps, 6 Connects) from a client years ago that I’m considering installing when I move…

The big selling point for me is its ability to seamlessly group zones together. For anyone who has achieved that without Sonos, what are you using? I need 2 (or more) sources that can be played at the same time in different zones and I absolutely do not want volume controls on the wall.

[Edit] I also love having my local and streaming sources in the same app as my zone selection

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Sounds awesome. I have like 6 small speakers and a tv bar. Not ready to drop them rn since I too want to be able to listen to music taking a shower while my wife listens to something else in the living room. I’m pretty sure people will have figured this out somehow. Time to find some audiophile selfhosted community. :) Besides that, I tend to ask myself why does a service have no viable/selfhosted competition. Most times it is anticompetitive behavior afaik but we’re unable to see it because they’re discreet.

• BoofStroke@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I used to buy used CDs and rip them myself. So I have my own collection. But to discover new music and listen to things I may not wish to own, streaming is the best option.

The solution? A plex server with a music library that points to your own collection. Then get a Tidal subscription through Plex. You then add Tidal music to your own library as if you were downloading or ripping it yourself. Listen with plexamp on a phone connected via bluetooth, or just use plex client on your shield, roku, firestick, etc.

Now you can listen to things both locally and streamed seamlessly. You can do artist radio to discover new music and manage smart playlists on the plex server itself.

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The used CD option is actually very awesome. Thanks for letting me know. I do have a plex server which I use for Movies and Shows (which are actually all ripped blu rays in the basement) :)

• AA5B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

It’s working for me now. I guess it’s been a full day so they’d better be back up. I didn’t notice an outage yesterday but was not around most of the day to listen to music

I’ll also second the poster who suggested streaming an alternate way. I find the Spotify app a more convenient way to stream over Sonos than the Sonos app, and that might have worked.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yes, I still keep a huge library of MP3/FLAC for music, and play it through my PC which has a full 5.1 stereo setup, or with Jellyfin if I want it in the living room on the home theater setup. I had Spotify and Slacker subs many years ago but ran into too many situations where I couldn’t use them and gave up on streaming music.

I use yt-dlp or Lidarr to acquire new stuff these days if the artist doesn’t have a direct sale method (if they do, I buy it there). And I don’t feel an ounce of guilt. Part of this is because most of the music I listen to is really old, but the other part is because the artists receive almost nothing when you buy their music from the labels. I’m talking a few pennies on a $15 purchase. Go to a single one of their concerts and they’ll receive far more of your money than they ever would if you bought their entire discography.

I considered a Sonos system years ago but added them to my mental blacklist when they started bricking people’s equipment remotely.

• HauiOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I have barely anything to add to that. Awesome thoughts. Sonos has since fallen out of grace with me as well (same as apple) but I own both brands still since I don’t throw things away if I can help it and exchanging them rn would only hurt me. So I try to make do until the very last moment and then I will switch. I’m stubborn like that.

Speaking of old music: I’m a violinist and mostly listen to bach (mostly performed by hilary hahn). I have visited two of her concerts and plan on buying her album(s) on vinyl once I get wifi on my vinyl player. Other than that its mostly CCR. So old music is my favorite as well.

Thank you very much for elaborating. I’ll see to it that I at least have a fall back library soon. :)

• dotdotslash@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I use a smb share in docker and this same share is connected with bonob.

Bonob is in Sonos App (but in the s2 app you could also add the sms share)

For PC Listening I use Navidrome (same share) and for mobile I use subsonic streamer with offline access to same share / navidrome.

• frantic6423@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I use my Roon sever to stream and group mine. Expensive to get into, but smooth enough to get partner approval for use.