English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’ll interpret “just learned” as in the last year or so

• Lifting weights is good for you and you should do it
    • Running is only bad for your knees if your form sucks, your shoes suck, or you overtrain. Done correctly it’s good for you in basically every way.
    • Eat an inconvenient amount of protein, it’s also good for you.
    • jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Knees don’t fail from wear, they fail from tear. If you’re not actually injuring yourself, they get stronger from use, they don’t wear out.

• EmoDuck@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My main takeaway from this is that I should eat 5 times my daily calorie count in chicken breast and I’ll turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger. Time to get out my KFC coupons

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

My kids love that I now make eggs and Canadian bacon with pancakes. They think it’s just a more elaborate breakfast. It may not actually be healthy but at least they’re getting some protein Instead of just massive amounts of carbs

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Spoiler: It’s not fucking healthy, certainly less healthy than an equivalent caloric amount of pure starch. Everything is made of protein; as long as you are not eating highly processed foods, you don’t need to go out of your way to add it to your diet. That’s bro science nonsense.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Eat an inconvenient amount of protein, it’s also good for you.

No. You just shit it out. Your gut can only absorb so much protein in a day. Even if you only eat potatoes or rice, if you are meeting your caloric needs, you will automatically be meeting your protein needs. Meanwhile, animal protein is associated with very serious health issues.

And of course the facts that you have known all along but choose not to connect with emotionally: that the experiences of animals are real and matter.

• traches@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

If you’re trying to get fit and build muscle, eating more protein will help with that. 1.5-2g per kg is a pretty commonly recommended target for stimulating muscle growth. I’m not really smart on the specifics, but this power-nerd of a lifter is: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/

I’ll point out that if you don’t use it to build muscle, protein is also an energy source. You won’t shit it out, you’ll burn it or store it as fat.

Finally, there are plenty of good veggie sources of protein; I’m not advocating for eating more meat!