Working in food sucks in general. I would know I’ve been doing it for almost 14 years now. You drive to the store. You enter the store. You order your food. If there are any complications with your order you’re told right then and there.

But I’ll never forget the day my job introduced mobile ordering. It immediately made everything worse in almost every way. Customers ordering shit we ran out of, shit we no longer offer, setting the pickup time 5 minutes after placing the order then getting mad when it’s not done on time. All this while we can’t communicate with the customer at all until they arrive to find the order incomplete because we couldn’t contact them to figure out what they wanted to do.

Then door dash became a thing and all those exact problems became even worse. It slows down the entire store to the point of disrupting the customers who came in to order.

Why the fuck would you go through a third party system to obtain food when you can just go get the fucking food

Basically if you use mobile ordering or a delivery service you’re a big part of why food service has done nothing but get harder and more frustrating. And I do hold it against you.

Edit: I don’t think lemmy understands how unpopularopinion is supposed to work…

Edit 2: Considering how many people clearly disagree with me and seeing how few upvotes this post has gotten, lemmy clearly has no idea how unpopularopinion works.

Glad to know the Reddit custom of ignoring that still lives on.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Wtf is wrong with ordering from mobile to go pick it up yourself? It slows nothing down; those orders are added in the same order as those taken in-store. It doesn’t charge more. It doesn’t even really take a job away from anyone since the cashiers at these places aren’t just cashiers. Nobody is getting screwed, unless the app fucks up.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

It does actually mess things up because it happens without warning. You already have dozens of other in store orders to deal with and now you have 15 mobile orders every 10 minutes. It takes employee attention away from inside customers and gives them more work to do in general.

Not to mention everything I said in my post about orders being left incomplete because we have no way of contacting the customer despite not having what they want.

• EurekaStockade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Sounds like you’re blaming customers when the business didn’t hire enough staff or implement a good app - eg; it shouldn’t be an option to set the pickup time 5 mins after ordering, and the app should give staff a way to communicate with customers

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

So the customer walking into an overloaded store that’s already busy af and deciding to stay doesn’t make them part of the problem?

I’ve already stated multiple times in this thread that I know it’s the companies fault I’m understaffed.

But you as a customer know we’re understaffed and still expect us to have your shit ready instantly. You as a customer hear that it’s gonna be an hour wait and decide “that’s fine I’d rather stand around for an hour than deal with the horrible inconvenience of just going somewhere else” and that’s what makes you a big part of the problem.

Y’all wanna keep blaming the companies while taking no accountability of your own actions.

• MrLuemasG@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Literally every time I’ve ordered online, it has adjusted the earliest pick up time automatically based on how busy the store is. There have been times I’ve had it tell me the earliest that I can have my food is 1.5 hours out.

If people are placing online orders at your store and expecting it to be ready in 5 minutes, it’s because your website or app isn’t doing what the vast majority of them do - which you need to talk to your manager /owner about

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

No. It doesn’t. If those mobile orders were real people in the store instead, it would be way worse, cuz now they have to have someone stop cooking to take an order. The way mobile orders drop in, is entirely seamless to the people on the line making the food, with the added bonus of not taking a worker away from the line to work the cash register.

You also do have a way to contact the customer, since the customers info is included in the orders, even those from a 3rd party. At least on the POS systems used in the McDonald’s and Jack in the Box I’ve worked in.

The more I read here, the more is sounds like you’re just mad that your job makes you do work.