• Black Yeonmi Par𝕏@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Do you think children are born racist, Nazis, capitalists, or horrible people?

I think that there’s fundamentally no difference between being ‘born that way’ and 'the parents indoctrinating their young from literal birth’. It ain’t ‘systemic issues’ that make Becky down the street pick up her phone and call the cops on any subject-of-empire out for a walk; it’s in-house, in-race teaching. This isn’t ‘the system’, this is individuals making choices under an empire that always favored them with the sweat of everyone else’s brow. So forgive me if I look at the displaced weight of hurt feelings, and find the displaced weight of literal thousands of bodies just over the last twenty years to be a little bit heavier.

• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

The in-house race teaching you talk about is literally part of systemic racism. That’s what I meant when I said,

“Or is it the systems in place in society that reinforce those ideals and viewpoints?”

Those viewpoints don’t exist naturally, they aren’t inherent to people. They’re taught and reinforced. Those individual actions are WHAT MAKE, the system, because the system rewards and encourages it.

That’s also an extremely American-centric view. If you’re saying that the racism is inherent to the individuals, in this case white people, you extrapolate that across the globe to include everyone that’s white, hence the original “white countries” line. The GDR was white, and born from the literal ashes of NAZI GERMANY, and somehow they did not have this issue on an systemic and individual level. Hell, those same children that were literally raised in the Hitler Youth, became some of the strongest hardline supporters of the communists, and equity measures.

Or the Soviet Union, a predominantly white country born from an Empire that encouraged racism towards the minority and rewarded it. Hence the targeting of Jews, Turks, Muslims, Georgians, etc. But somehow the vestiges of that racism was swept away after intensive effort.

Racism is not inherent to human behavior. We are still apes at heart, whatever is rewarded, we do more of. And what’s rewarding the racism in this situation? The system.