Basically what the title says. There’s always discussions about someone being force sensitive and how they could use the force or not sensitive to it at all, but has anyone ever been completely immune to it? Like if Vader was doing a force choke and the person was just like “why are you holding your hand up like that? What are you trying to do?”

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Everybody talks about Legends canon but in the main canon Toydarians are not force immune but force resistant. There’s the line in ep 1 where Qui Gon is trying to convince Watto to take credits and Watto is all like “get the fuck outta here with that bullshit, it doesn’t work on us”.

• csfirecracker@lemmyf.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I always thought that was playing on the “mind tricks only work on the weak-minded” thing. And thats why he was having none of Qui-Gon’s nonsense

• Phil_in_here@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I think Watto saying “I’m a Toydarian! Mind tricks don’t work on me!” like that is a cultural pride thing, not a physiological thing.

• ADHDefy@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Jabba resists Jedi mind tricks, too, doesn’t he? Idk if that’s just being strong-minded or a biological condition for Hutts.

• EmoDuck@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The Yuuzhan Vong aren’t completely immune to force attacks but they are “outside” the force and can’t be sensed by force users

• Kerb
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

i vaguely remember that (in legends) there where some creatures on dagobah that created a kind of force void.

i think those where weaponized as anti force backpacks or something.

edit: their called Ysalamir and i was wrong about them steming from dagobah

• setsneedtofeed@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

They are a major plot point in the Thrawn books. They act as Thrawn’s ace in the hole to try and defeat Luke, and they are a precaution for the insane Jeedi master he has recruited.

• jedibob5@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Sounds like you’re thinking of the ysalamiri.

Additionally, also only in Legends canon, there are also the Yuuzhan Vong, a species from outside the Galaxy that was entirely unconnected to the Force. They could not be sensed through the Force and were immune to most Force abilities that directly targeted them, though they could be affected by some abilities, i.e. telekinetically thrown objects or Force Lightning.

• ramble81@lemm.eeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’d like to see someone be immune to telekentically manipulated objects…. Rock bounces off someone “sorry, you used the force to do that”.

• Burninator05@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I don’t know about individuals but some species were immune to at least parts of the force. Watto was immune to mind tricks in TPM and said his entire species was as well.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Nobody mentions how dense the atmospheric air pressure on Tatooine must have been for those tiny wings on him to be enough to give him flight. The speed of Luke’s T-16 must have been fairly slow so it wouldn’t have burst into flames from just friction with that dense air.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

For all you know his body is mostly made up of hydrogen gas sacks.

At least using Earth’s atmosphere and gravity numbers, his body isn’t big enough even if 100% of the volume was hydrogen and all his skin and bones were paper thin, that still wouldn’t be enough lift. He wears a leather harness and small satchel among other things.

Also I can’t remember a specific scene but I’m sure he picks up objects at some point, at which he’s have to provide lift from not only his body but the weight of the item being carried.

It’s space fantasy, not hard science fiction.

I know, I’m not upset or anything. OPs question asking about any “force immune” species is a question testing the limits of the fantasy universe. I’m doing the same here for fun discussion.

• TheGreenGolem@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

There was a multiplayer mode in Jedi Knight II, Capture the Ysalamiri. Like capture the flag, but when you captured it you couldn’t use any of your Force abilities.
    Fuck I loved those games.