• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Incognito was never meant to make you think you’re hiding anything from the browser that you’re typing everything into. It’s about loading a website without any prior context (i.e. cookies) and not saving the state when you’re done.

Incognito is useful for debugging cookie state issues without having to nuke your existing cache only to find out it wasn’t the issue.

It’s also useful when you have to log in on someone else’ computer. Open incognito, log in, do your business, close the window. No risk of accidentally staying logged in. (But if they’re actively trying to mitm you, incognito won’t matter. Just don’t use any devices that person has access to).

• Liar™️@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I love Firefox and will continue using it until they shit all over adblockers too. Which I don’t really see them doing, but ya never know. Eventually, when there’s just no way to avoid ads, I’ll stop using the internet lmao

• kevincox@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Brave does very little to control Google’s influence on the web. Better than Chrome, but not by much.

Really if we wan the open internet to continue Firefox (and derivatives) or Safari the only options. I’m still sad that Edge was replaced by Chromium. Even though Microsoft isn’t great it is another engine that Google needs to convince to implement their crap.

• const_void@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

lololol. The browser that’s packed to the brim with crypto bullshit? You gotta be kidding me.

• fabian_drinks_milk@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Brave is still based on Chromium and suffers from Google decisions. Remember when Google wanted to remove Manifest V2? Brave would also be affected by that. Yes, it is open source, but they do not have the resources to maintain a seperate codebase with Manifest V2 support while Google keeps updating Chromium without Manifest V2. Firefox ftw

• nakukono@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Incognito is useless though, it hides your history from only you. Google stores, ISP stores, that site stores, just your browser forgets.

• laxe@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

When Chrome was first launched, so many people thought Incognito would be useless. Little did they know.