Crops can blight, animals can get diseases. I don’t know much about hydroponics but I know that bacteria are a concern. What food source is the most reliable, the least likely to produce less food than expected?

• Blake [he/him]@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I know you’re not really being serious, but it doesn’t really. I considered the logistics of this for an RP I was running and it doesn’t add up. You need way way way way more food to grow a human being than the human being provides in food when they’re dead. At most, being very very generous, you could meet 1% of a society’s food needs with cannibalism. And that’s a really high estimate. It’s really more of a special treat than a daily diet!

• Blake [he/him]@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It’s so inefficient you may as well just leave the population to starve, nearly the same effect for much less work!

• You’re going to have people anyway, and they’re going to die. We just need a process to make their deaths a d resulting disposal as productive as possible. We could set an optimum age limit; maybe gameify the process, and package it with respect and nobility. We could give it a pleasant name - something like “Carousel” maybe.

We’re looking for balance, not a Buddhist sort of minimal impact.

• HouseWolf@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

They’re making our food out of people, next thing they’ll be breeding us like cattle! for food!

• PowerCrazy@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

But what happens when covid kills 75% of your long pig stock? Thousands will starve, millions will die!

• gullible@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

What’s funny about Soylent green is that there are a few genuinely standout scenes and insightful existential conversations, but the only line ever referenced is “Soylent green is people.” The ads were apparently more culturally relevant than the movie.