Everyone knows the tale of Brand X getting bought out by some faceless global conglomerate and going to shit, but does the opposite ever happen?

• OrekiWoof@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

GitHub started adding new good features after being acquired by Microsoft

• aes@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

didn’t they like… scrape everyone’s open source code for an ai and then gatekeep that shit to their own infra?

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Mixed feelings on this one; I think the jury is still out. I think I preferred GitHub being independent and focused on hosting source code and reviewing merge requests. But… I’m not sure if the product would’ve ended up any better without being under Microsoft.

Microsoft lately seems to take pretty hands off approaches and follow the “don’t fix what isn’t broken” rule well, which seems to be working for them.

• insomniac@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

They still behave like a monopoly. Microsoft owning everything is bad for tech even if they can throw money at it and make it “better.” I moved to codeberg.org and it’s been decent.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Yeah, I don’t think anyone’s denying that MS is a shitty company; we’re just talking about companies that have either improved, or haven’t gotten significantly worse, because some other company bought them out.

• hactar42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

And now Azure DevOps has completely been forgotten about. I was setting up an web app in Azure and it gave me the option to do continuous integration from GitHub, but not Azure DevOps.

• elephantium@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

This one hurts. My team at work currently uses AzDO for our build pipeline. It works pretty well, making it easy to trace which build actually got deployed, plus which git branch and commit got built. The variable substitution feature is pretty slick for test vs. prod builds, too.

You can put together continuous integration with Github Actions, but from what I’ve seen so far, it seems so much more primitive :(

• elephantium@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Interesting, sounds like merge queues can streamline some of the housekeeping around PRs. I’ll have to read up on them some more.

I wasn’t thinking about differences between Github and AzDops repos, only between GH actions and AZ pipelines. My team moved the code to Github a long time ago – AZ pipelines is perfectly happy having the code there.

Hmm, now I wonder if anyone keeps their code in AZ Repos and their CI stuff in Github Actions (probably not, it sounds absurd!)