• H2207@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Literally anything with tech, new hardware, new laptop, bigger VPS or another Raspberry Pi. My bedroom is starting to look like some back-alley tech store from a dystopian movie.

Oh and, to top it all off, Star Citizen.

• fakeman_pretendname@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

If your city has a “Linux User Group” or maker/hackerspace thing, you might just find you’re less alone than you previously thought.

• Skates@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Charles Darwin applied for an interview, you said? Yeah I’ve heard of him. Tell him to contact us when he’s able to solve some differential equations. Literally unhireable fuck, who does he think he is.

• NotSpez@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Is is possible to be genuinely very good at designing all kinds of experiments and executing them wothout having any interest/significant capabilities in solving the statistical work involved. I think you see this a lot in medical science. Luckily science is almost always performed in teams where everyone has their own bot of expertise.

Also, there are the more qualitative (instead of quantitative) sciences like anthropology where you simply don’t need the strong math.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Just spent $890 on new golf clubs.

In my defence it was a birthday present to myself, but I haven’t even played in 3 years and I was shit when I did. Just a few days watching golf shit on YouTube and here we are…

Hobbies are my smashed avo.

• thorbot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Nothing wrong with having a hobby of watching golf videos and having the option to go golfing if you want to. There’s worse hobbies out there. Like doing meth or sculpting dragon dildos

• saltesc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I used to rock climb a lot but sustained a couple very bad injuries, resulting in all of my muscle going as I couldn’t climb for 18 months. Now it’s depressing struggling on what used to he warm ups.

I’m hoping golf gets me back outside more frequently and helps with the long recovery.

If not, whoops… But I will take this excuse to feel less guilty spending money on hobby lol

• snowe@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Collecting hobbies. Idk. I just pick up whatever fancies me at the time. I realize this is not possible for a lot of people, and I’m sad about that, but it’s really the only thing that keeps me going.

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Same! I’ve picked up and put on hold rubik’s cubes, lock picking, astronomy, astrophotography, and I’m currently getting more interested in chess than my ELO should allow

• Illegal_Prime@dmv.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

People tend to think of flightsimming and trainsimming as expensive, since compared to other games they kind of are, but I look at Warhammer, and even model trains and feel considerably less bad.

That said model trains are cool, but I’d only want to do it as part of a club where I can split the cost with other people.

• UntouchedWagons@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I had a model train set when I was a kid. I liked laying track and wiring everything up but didn’t have the patience or creativity for scenery or theming.

• Gustephan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Warhammer 40k. I’m also a semi accomplished electrical engineer and currently working on a PhD in data science/machine learning, so at least I got the “good at math and science” variety to support my “expensive hobby” variety

• ThtCrzyBstrd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I just spent roughly $400 on paints, a combat patrol, a box of Harlequins for my wife, and a handful of DIY hobby bits last night.

This hobby is already bullying my wallet…

• riceandbeans161
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

i spent 2500€ on a guitar and it’s not even made in america, it’s a made in mexico fender

and i love it

• kamen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

At least that’s not something that goes obsolete in 4-5 years like many things tech.

• riceandbeans161
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

yeah it’s already 12 years old and will probably last me the rest of my life. Nothing on it you can’t fix in one way or another.

• riceandbeans161
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

i have a bunch of mim fenders and i have to agree, they’re fantastic instruments. And this Kurt Cobain Roadworn Jaguar is honestly the second best guitar i’ve ever played.

• sudo22@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My attention span is so torched by the internet I can’t anymore. Which makes me sad because I loved reading as a kid.

I do however still enjoy audiobooks while driving.