“The results of this evaluation are indicative of autism spectrum disorder.”

Never before have I been so relieved and yet so dismayed to read such a sentence.

• OrteilGenou@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Knowing yourself better is never bad. Even if what you find isn’t necessarily what you want, you have a path forward.

• laribA@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

That is true. I guess some part of me was wishing that I was actually normal all along and that my differences were only in my head.
      I guess now I need to learn how better to live with this.

• xophos
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Try to see it the other way round. I was always considered smart but lazy and distracted. I always struggled with myself because I thought I wasn’t living up to my potential because I was lazy and couldn’t mobilize enough willpower to succeed. That always stressed me out even more. Now that I know I am autistic and most people with my profile are not even able to work at all, let alone get a university degree, I can instead be proud of what I achieved. Just take it as an opportunity to be kinder to yourself.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It’s absolutely eerie how the description you make of yourself fits me. I am all the more determined to consult and make sense of this. Thanks for sharing

• xophos
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I hope, you are a bit younger than me. I got my diagnosis last year and I’m close to fifty.

• topinambour_rex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

What made you pass this diagnosis ? I mean, you are certainly an adult, does anybldy ever picked you had some autistics traits ? Sorry if I sound rude, got diagnosed for “adhd symptoms” aka my symptoms was too mild during my childhood, and really got stronger once I had another longterm issue during my teens.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

What made you pass this diagnosis ?

There was some part of me that doubted if I really had autism, so I wanted to get it checked out. Also, if I was diagnosed, maybe I could get some benefits or something like that.

I mean, you are certainly an adult, does anybldy ever picked you had some autistics traits ?

Well, I’m actually not an adult; I’m only 16. There are also, apparently, resources that autistic adolescents like myself would benefit from.
      Has anyone ever picked on me because I displayed “autistic traits”? I don’t…think so, but I have definitely been ostracized because of it. Then again, I have been told that I am a horrible judge of character, so maybe I’m giving certain people too much of the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry if I sound rude

Don’t worry, you don’t.

got diagnosed for “adhd symptoms” aka my symptoms was too mild during my childhood, and really got stronger once I had another longterm issue during my teens.

I’m sorry. I hope you’re doing all right now.

• ABCDE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Happy you have been able to get one, even if it results in dismay. This should be your base to build upon now, to do things and apply ideas which will make life easier.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Thank you. Now that I know for sure, maybe I can better figure out how I can live with it.

• Seigest@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Congrats. I am a week away from mine. I’m not hopful since I can’t seem to find any if the written records they wanted. I was told to bring a bunch of odd items such as strings coins and dice. I also have to go 2 hours to my home town just so I can help my mother access the online meeting. I half suspect they’ll just tell me it’s inconclusive because I can’t find my elementary transcripts from over 25 years ago.

• enthusiasticamoeba@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I was told to bring a bunch of odd items such as strings coins and dice

What information are they looking for here?? I’d be so stressed wondering if my random collected junk collection was autistic enough. Do I bring my weird shit or just the “normal” trinkets? Should I just bring my favorites? How should I organize them? How many is too many?? Help I need to know why so I can make sure I do it right 😭

• Seigest@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

They’d be analyzing play behavior. I actually do keep a lot of these around as fidget toys as i get bored at meetings. But I’m not sure if I could simulate that on command. Fidgeting is a mindless activity.

• gingerman@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I know a formal diagnosis can help, but don’t forget self diagnosis is valid. It sounds like you’re working with someone with outdated knowledge of autism.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Congrats.

Thank you.

I am a week away from mine.

I hope it goes well for you.

I’m not hopful since I can’t seem to find any if the written records they wanted.

They might be able to figure it out even without the written records if you show traits.

I was told to bring a bunch of odd items such as strings coins and dice.

That is odd. For me, when a part like that came, the evaluators provided those items themselves.

I also have to go 2 hours to my home town just so I can help my mother access the online meeting.

Hopefully it’ll be worth it.

I half suspect they’ll just tell me it’s inconclusive because I can’t find my elementary transcripts from over 25 years ago.

Again, they might just be able to figure it out via your demeanor if they need to. Here’s hoping that they can diagnose you, even without the records.