Ik, I probably should not be lurking on Reddit anyways, but we are missing a lot of communities here. The only communities I can reliably follow and get quality content is this one and c/linux, c/privacy and some FOSS subs

But if I want something else, reddit is the only alternative. Now, I don’t want to give any more of my data and the government of India isn’t really known for it’s tolerance of free speech they don’t like, so, is there a way to create an account on reddit using tor which won’t be blocked as soon as it’s created.

I feel like giving a email account would make it work (I have seen it remove many hurdles while using reddit without tor) so, is there a email service that reddit doesn’t block which will make my reddit account created through tor as good as a normal reddit account.

PS: If I comment is posted then it will be visible on your profile, but it won’t be visible to anyone else on reddit. You can’t upvote. You are essentially a ghost, this can be very useful saving stuff and all, but without the ability to post, it isn’t that helpful. Reddit automatically blocks protonmail and tutanota mails :")

• MomoTimeToDie@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

You can literally make a reddit account with random characters in an email format. For instance, akxue@sjcra.wd is considered valid, and since you don’t actually need to verify the email to use reddit, you’re good to just never care what you entered.

• nutbutter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

For reading only, some LibReddit instances are still working. Like libreddit.northboot.xyz, libreddit.tuz.pizza etc.

For temporary accounts, you can use something like temp-mail.org (uses cloudflare, though).

But for more permanent stuff, you can use services that provide proxy emails, like Mozilla, Proton. They will mask your email with a custom domain.

For a better and completely anonymous experience, buy a domain from Najalla using Monero, and get some anonymous custom domain email service. Sign up on reddit using that.

• InfiniWheel@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

You can still make a reddit account withiut an email, can’t you? In new reddit you just click next without inputting anything

The tor issue will probably happen no matter the email but don’t quote me on that one

• Karlos_Cantana@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’ve seen several posts (I don’t know personally because I stopped using Reddit) saying that new accounts without email are unable to post/comment and get banned from subs for attempting to participate. I think that’s what OP is referring to.

• Ganesh Venugopal@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ve seen several posts (I don’t know personally because I stopped using Reddit) saying that new accounts without email are unable to post/comment and get banned from subs for attempting to participate. I think that’s what OP is referring to.

New accounts are a problem, if you have an old account (without email) which you have used for a while and you know comments can be seen by others, and your karma isn’t 1, that’s fine.

I recently was introduced to the concept of “throw away accounts”. Thing is if you don’t use a email, you can’t immediately participate in some communities and if you have added an email, it works like magic, the only restriction is karma.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

you will need to post a bit on subs which don’t block new accounts with low karma

give me some examples though, pls :') It won’t even let me comment (my comments are hidden from the world)

• Ziggurat@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

You’re never fully anonymous on the internet, ideally you can use a throwaway e-mail or no-email at all on reddit.

Not sure for Indian laws, but in general ISP have to keep logs of who was using which IP at which time, and websites need to store IP of their user for a while. All it takes is a court order to get both information and finds out who you are

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

You’re never fully anonymous on the internet

seriously? even when I use tor network? I mean, that’s the best hope out there. What about tails os, what do you think of it?

• dystop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I have the perfect solution - rdx.overdevs.com

It’s mobile-friendly, and you can follow/subscribe without creating an account. You can also import a list of current subscriptions from your old reddit account using a .json file.

The only issue is that it’s read-only and you can’t create an account, post or upvote. But given the shitstorm that is the reddit admin team, i view this as a good thing!

• dystop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Ah i wasn’t sure if you just wanted to follow or participate. This solution allows you to follow but not participate

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

haha… I am not trying to. I mean, I am not beyond that, I don’t care about their rules, but yeah, not trying to ban evade here>