• marin♡ @beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it’s inevitable to not talk about the elephant in the room. A lot of the new Fediverse users have migrated from Reddit so a lot of the discourse over the next few days might center around whatever is happening around that place. On the other hand, I do hope that other people take the time to explore and break out of their lurking behavior from Reddit.

Quick tip for those who don’t want to see any reddit discussions, just mute the word Reddit. I might do that in a bit lol

• YouNaughtyMonsters@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How would one mute the word Reddit? I took a look at the options in settings but didn’t find anything that appeared relevant to me. What did I miss?

• marin♡ @beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As of now, I think the only way I could do it is through the iOS app Mlem. I’m not too tech savvy and heavily rely on my husband for help regarding these matters. Sorry about that ;;

• meteotsunami@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s like rescuing people from a shipwreck and being surprised they’re talking about the ship that sanked and not about the furnishings of the ship that saved them.

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, and a lot of the discussion amounts to ‘this ship has nicer furnishings than the one that sank even if it’s a lot smaller’ as well.

• MrGreebles@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is day one for a good chunk of us, a little bit of time as we start to fall into different communities and it’ll phase out

• Rentlar@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I agree with this. Across all Lemmy servers thousands of users are joining everyday now looking for at least a little bit of validation and conversation starters.

Eventually it will die down and people will be more interested in their specific communities.

• eleanorOpossum@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is part of why Voat (pre fatpeoplehate ban turning it into a right wing shit hole) was a ghosttown. The majority of the active communities there were just complaining about different aspects of reddit instead of trying to share and discuss content.

• alyaza [they/she]@beehaw.org
      shield
      M
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

yes, please; obviously we don’t want to go too far in stiffling discussion since this is a Big Deal, but please remember we’re not trying to be Reddit (and especially not a Reddit meta hub) and that we have lots of other stuff you can talk about and contribute to on here!

• rustyspoon@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Right? I came here to find new communities and regrow my online presence, not to stare back and laugh at the burning pile of rubble we left behind. (Although I suppose I should stop scrolling through “All”, it’s not like I ever did that on Reddit)

• Karce@wizanons.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Curating the proper set of subs is the real winner. Gonna spend quite a while finding communities.

• Hexarei@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, having built up 13 years of Reddit subs adding and removing…I keep having to remind myself this won’t be an immediate thing to replace it for me

• Lemdee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was going to say, I’ve curated my feed on Lemmy and the only times I see the Reddit stuff is from the News community (and memes). Every other community has been doing their own thing and I’m here for it.

• Ataraxia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Right. My feed is all reddit… then posts complaining about reddit posts. It never ends.

• Lemdee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Idk on my Lemmy home page out of the top ten posts only one is about Reddit. Try joining some more communities and changing your feed under settings to “subscribed” instead of “all” or “local”. Just like how Reddit’s all/popular pages were kinda trash, you have to curate your feed a bit here too.

• lemillionsocks@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Like others are saying it’s a big deal for a lot of past and current members so I understand why it’s getting so much traction, but yeah it does seem like the biggest threads are reddit. That said you can sort by hot or new and there is plenty of content that didnt come to reddit.

For example !startrek@startrek.website is run by the old /r/startrek team and other subreddits like daystrominstitute jumped on as well.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Exactly. It’s not just Reddit, it’s news, it’s current events. Frankly it’s a moment in internet history we’re all going to look back on, for better or worse.

• Gork@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

A defining point in Internet history for that matter. This is like the Digg exodus. A paradigm shift in social media. It isn’t often that we see mass migrations of Internet users from one platform to another.

This will surely delight future digital anthropologists in their chronological studies of the Internet. We just gotta make sure our archives can last for generations.

Hello future historians!

• Bellychris@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have been on reddit long enough to remember the migration from Digg to Reddit. Same thing, lots of “Hi from Digg posts” I see a lot of similarities to that migration.

• lynny@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

We need to keep the momentum going. Get as many people to move from Reddit to Feddit as possible while the opportunity is still there.

• Helix@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Why are you so obsessed with growth? Is it not OK if people discover the Fediverse without it being swarmed by new users? Is it the “number goes up” phenomenon?

• lynny@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s having dealt with running communities in the past and knowing that once things get too slow the community starts to die. I believe strongly that stuff like this will be extremely important in the distant future internet.