And I installed Linux. And it’s awesome.

EDIT: yes, the GPU was a bit tilted. Fixed it now!

• GregoryTheGreat@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I strongly disagree with the too much RAM hate. I have 32GB and run out. 64GB would be freedom to do whatever. That’s how computing should be.

• GenderNeutralBro@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The correct amount of RAM is enough that you never, ever have to think about it no matter what you choose to do.

Ditto for storage.

32GB is “fine”, but yes, I occasionally run into cases where it’s not enough. Typically with VMs or CPU-based machine learning tasks that are too big to run on GPU. I’m not really into video editing but I assume that needs a ton as well.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

I’ve got a GSA gifted to me by a friend, and he filled it to max with RAM beforehand, and flashed the BIOS with regular… Dell? BIOS?

It’s The Cheat from Homestar that I had to get a buncha SAS drives for. I didn’t know they were a thing.

It’s unfathomably gigantic and heavy, but I guess it has a couple processors and a ton of RAM!

(Also love your handle)

Edit: oh shit it’s also got two PSUs for whatever raisin hahaha

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Noted! I haven’t got it set up yet. I have all the hard drives and stuff, but I haven’t been motivated lately. :c

Plus, once I have UNRAID going, ideally it will almost never need to boot!

• eeleech@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I personally would not take it out, “unused” RAM will be used by the OS as e.g. disk cache, or you could have a fairly large ramdisk.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

I see! I’m very extremely new to this! Insofar I’ve only got some RPi machines set up, I don’t yet know anything about UNRAID or big servers.

• SCmSTR@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

128gb here. I sit constantly between 40 and 70gb in use. Heavy multitasking between Internet, professional, gaming, and creative outlets can sometimes push near 90.

16 was the pcmr standard in 2010, but is a complete joke now. 32g is the new 8gb now. “Casual” pc usage is way, WAY heavier now: nobody just uses a computer for only one thing anymore, they use it for multi-window browsing, music, and YouTube, along with the new standard of everybody plays games and nobody wants to close shit just to play a game.

Games are heavierweight and the only reason it’s as low requirement as they are is because of console peasants. CS2 is like 100gb storage, up from the laughable ~2gb in csgo. That’s just not how the world works anymore. The economy has chosen ease of development and priority on graphical fidelity over deep design complexity. Shit; Starfield is basically just a 200gb graphics mod of Morrowind.

And then you have heavy users like us, who actually use bleeding edge functions, who have grown up wanting better and more, experimenting and not trusting and wanting to pay cloud. Despite the neon gamer rog chrome and black image, I’d be willing to bet almost every person here in this thread has at least one HDD currently in use (take note of these demographics: fediverse, English speaking, pcmr, aware of RAM) - and the reason is because they’re cheap, fairly reliable storage and we all ain’t made of money. Ironic because of the amount of RAM being discussed.

32GB has been the new 16GB for probably five years, and realistically, 64GB is actually what you should be getting when you upgrade/make a new build.

Reason: 64GB, right this minute, is one double above “just cutting it”.

• Perroboc@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Arch (btw), but I’m thinking of trying Endeavour because it has nice defaults that I might’ve missed in my installation.

• Sanguine@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

+1 for Endeavor. Started daily driving it for about 3 months now and it’s incredible.

Some of the minor tweaks I need to make really bring me back to the early days of learning PC and trouble shooting (but with actually solutions / outcomes this time and not just a brick wall at the end).

That being said nearly everything has just worked out of the box. Plus with timelapse (timeshift? I forget the name) you can basically be sure that you won’t brick the system if you mess anything up.

• Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

+1 for Endeavour from me too. I came from Arch and decided Endeavour was better for me. Building your own setup in Arch is great, but so is having everything set up for me.

cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I actually considered this (I have a 7950X) but I recall someone on Gentoo’s forums saying you shouldn’t use them all even on the best liquid cooler. The heat from that would be a major issue.

• ProvableGecko@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Man I feel like a fraud in this thread. I’ve been using Linux for more than a decade now but I installed only Windows on the new system. I use it like an Xbox, turn it on when I play games and then go back to the laptop for everything else.

• Perroboc@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Totally overkill. I thought I would be running lots of containers and virtual machines, but really never seem to use more than 16gb total. And I didn’t set up a swap partition, neither.

• BallShapedMan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Thank you, I wondered. I keep thinking I need to upgrade to 32GB from 16 but have get to run into a need other than the prices are pretty cheap these days

• Perroboc@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

If you want to upgrade, get better speeds. AM5 Expo settings are quite stable nowadays, and the less RAM you have, the faster a cold boot is.

IMHO 16gb @ 8000 > 32gb @ 6000. I’m thinking of doing this in the future.

• Tibert@jlai.lu
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

You don’t really need to upgrade. But for a new pc, 32gb is advised for anything gaming.

For other things like content creation or work with the computer other than basic computing, I don’t really know. It would change depending on what someone needs to so with the computer.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I haven’t run into issues on my gaming rig with 16. If I was building new I’d get 32 for sure. But my old 10700k and 4090 seem to do just fine on 16. Even when running unoptimized emulation like early days with ToTK I hardly used more than 12.

I feel those days are ending soon though and will need more in the next year or so.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ve heard you can load and run windows 100% on ram. You should give that a shot. Just never fully shut down your PC.

• Luci@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

32GB for Windows, 8GB for the software to run all the different RGB, that leaves you with what, 24GB for gaming?

• hemko@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

You serious 32gb for Windows? I know it’s a resource hog but 8gb is more than enough for win11 not accounting any other software

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s cool, what do you use your VMs for? We have them setup at work too split resources but I can’t think of a personal reason to use a virtual machine.

• Perroboc@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, got that comment before, so I spent some time with a ruler and a screwdriver to make sure. here’s a new picture

It seems the case GPU support was a bit too high.

Thanks!

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The gpu looks tilted, did it not fit in the upper bracket?

• Perroboc@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I double checked: it’s just the perspective of the photo

EDIT: I just finished reinstalling the card with a ruler in hand because I couldn’t take the thought out of my head lol. Spent 1 hour because I had to clear the CMOS after the cards reinstallation and first cold boot re-training memory, but now it’s technically aligned!

• fiah
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

and a fractal torrent compact, good choice!

edit: or wait, is that the regular torrent? I can’t tell

cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Oh wow, I have the same CPU and GPU setup (different brand on the latter tho).

In any case, you picked great for Linux.