Mine is apparently 10kg a week

• IMALlama@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

10 kg a week? What are you printing? I have heavy months and lower months, but I would be surprised if I managed to hit 5 kg in one of my heavy months. Granted, all my prints are for myself or friends and they’re 95% functional.

• MissJinx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

If I had a bambu I would too probably. I have a cheap fucker of a printer and already do a lot, with a multi color bambu I would buid a house

• ramenshaman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Is the Bambu pretty good with switching from one filament to the next? I have a Prusa and I get the 3kg spools. I got the MMU2 and it’s a fucking joke. I removed it a long time ago. Hoping to get a Bambu for my next printer and exclusively use it in LAN-only mode.

• alufers@links.aa4.eu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t know what were your particular issues, but I used to have problems with it not being able to home it’s motors and even failing to unload and load a cleanly cut filament. All it said is “MMU REQUIRES USER ATTENTION”. It was very frustrating for me, prints not being able to start etc. And of course the idiotic error message.

But about three weeks ago they released a new firmware version for both the MK3S and the MMU2. And I was surprised to see that the printer started displaying normal error messages and even a short link to the exact documentation page which explains the error condition. And basically mine was this: http://prusa.io/04306, which basically boils down to “Power issue detected”. I took a look into the mainboard box and indeed it was a loose connection on the positive terminal. I’m glad the thing didn’t melt or catch fire (the printer was a kit, which I bought second-hand, assembled by some random guy).

Anyway, you might want to put back your MMU, update it, maybe some of the issues will be better explained to you.

• Spacehooks@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Heard it’s not too bad. The machine tells you the spool is empty and will pause the print. I did hear some people had same issues with it skipping a layer or 2 after it restarts.

• Rutty@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s not without flaws, but I would recommend.

Just know that it adds time and waste to prints.

There is also a nice feature that allows you to automatically switch over to a new roll when the 1st roll runs out. That’s nice.

• callcc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I would feel so bad for using so much plastic. I already feel like this when using a spool every couple of months.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I am not opposed, assuming there isn’t a severe quality concern. I would rather like a way to recycle my waste plastic. There isn’t really anyone local that will recycle PETG or PLA.

• TimPostma@mastodon.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

@Rutty there is a way first cut the plastic then use a blender on ice crush but be sure its normal plastic second it has to be sorted by thermodynamics & shade of color

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yes! They do exist. It’s about $20k USD to get a system that will recycle filament.

I’ve also looked at the idea of using pelletized plastic and molds to make other products, like dominos for example.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

PET is used in plastic water bottles, PETG is considered a contaminant and typically not part of the recycled waste stream, at least in the US. Same for PLA.

Although as you noted to pelletize plastic a blender would be a good place to start. The question then becomes what do you do with the pellets of plastic?

From my understanding it takes a system like this https://www.filabot.com/products to produce filament from waste plastic. That’s not to say you can’t used the pellets in some other way.

• callcc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I do use rPLA from 3dJake. Not really sure how much of it is recycled and where the material is sourced from though.

• Alfiegerner@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The cost of having a fast printer ☺️ . I have an x1c now and my filament expenditure is way up. It’s also so easy to print from the AMS.