• Max-P@lemmy.max-p.me
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

How is the Rust team responsible for some random GitHub dude having a strong opinion? Literally anyone can make a repo on GitHub and be a jerk.

• Anders429@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m confused. What makes you think they have been put in a position of authority? Anyone can simply create a fork, or a separate project completely, and go a different direction. You’re not obligated to use any third party crate.

I do agree that they handled that interaction pretty poorly, though.

• TehPers@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

That particular interaction was handled poorly, but isn’t this issue about adding essentially two 3 line helper functions to the library? Forking just for that seems unnecessary. You can instead make a new library that depends on this one and which defines your helper functions, or just copy the helpers into each project you use. It would be more convenient in base64, but it’s not like it’s the end of the world either.

• TheAgeOfSuperboredom@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

JFC. When will people learn that there will be toxic people in ANY community of sufficient size.

Also, as far as I know this crate isn’t official in any capacity. Not to mention that base64 isn’t terribly complicated if you don’t like this crate (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64)

This post just sounds like trolling.

• colonial@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

… Why are you digging up random drama from nearly a year ago?

Also, this guy isn’t affiliated with the Rust team AFAIK. And even if he was, this is his crate, not rustc - he can do whatever he wants with it, and you can fork it if you disagree.

Edit:

> Account created 11 months ago

> This is its only interaction

Seems legit.

• livingcoder@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I was thinking the same thing when I was trying to use the new base64 code instead of the deprecated version: it’s unnecessarily complicated. I remember thinking “why is this so hard, so convoluted?”.

• lwuy9v5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Any good forks yet? Open-source is great at solving problems when you can move on from assholes…