• Sharpiemarker@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How do you quantify “beat?” More users? More activity? Revenue?

Lemmy and Reddit aren’t really in competition. They can both exist and have separate user bases.

• ritswd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This. Beating Reddit is not the point, and it sounds resentful. It’s good to let go. I would say that the point is to built a sustainable, healthy, and compelling community, and I’m rooting for it to be on its way there.

• Skullvalanche@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Absolutely this. They’re not competing. They’re not the same thing. It’s like asking when texting will beat gmail.

One is a private for profit enterprise. The other is an open standard with lots of entities using that standard.

• Skullvalanche@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Absolutely this. They’re not competing. They’re not the same thing. It’s like asking when texting will beat gmail.

One is a private for profit enterprise. The other is an open standard with lots of entities using that standard.

• zerbey@infosec.pub
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In terms of users? It’ll likely never happen, but that’s fine by me. Reddit’s transformation to a big evil company was s inevitable.

• myxi@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Lemmings have already beaten Reddit by being a better platform. All that is missing is content, which will take time.

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We’ll never know. Spez can easily just inflate his userbase with bots and nobody would be the wiser. I mean, bots on reddit–such a novel idea…

Hell, we’re actively trying to keep them out here and they still manage to fuck with our stats.

• not_that_guy05@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

5-10 years if all the mods that striked left and people start bringing in more content. Plus a good app for us to use here would def boost the numbers. (Yes boost is coming soon) so we’ll see but we would need to help the community grow and not just browse by and provide nothing to the community.

• Sean@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The optimist in me says hopefully soon, but the realist in me says probably not any time soon.

Love it or hate it for what it is, Reddit is still a Titan of the big social media companies.