• goat@sh.itjust.worksOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Do they not realise they will literally be executed by the Taliban because they’re queer?

• Atomic@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

They’ll be executed because they’re not Muslim. And if they are Muslim. They’ll be executed anyway because they’re the wrong type of Muslim.

• ZILtoid1991@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

A lot of them also support Russia.

What I’ve seen is, that many more socially conservative tankies are trying to convince the more socially liberal tankies to “grow up”, as they also believe in the “kids will grow out their liberal phase”, which is kind of a threat on the right (“conform to hypernormalcy or never see yourself reaching an old age”).

• vaalla
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

They probably believe the shared hate for us will have them.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

“H-ha ha, I’m just joking” is also what alt-right cunts used back in 2015 and 2016.

Turns out, “I support this thing that’s in-line with my ideology! H-ha ha, j-just joking!” is just how chuds communicate their views to each other when they’re too cowardly to face social censure for their abhorrent views.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I think this was from the start an outrageous enough claim that I don’t think it was meant to be serious: Jesus invented the term?

Such phrasing is light-hearted, but that doesn’t mean the broader point isn’t meant sincerely. If someone says, “That’s why Jesus invented alcohol” after someone complains about having a hard day, that doesn’t mean that they literally believe Jesus invented alcohol, but it does mean that they regard alcohol as an appropriate response to the situation.

I’m not a fan of tankies, but I’m not convinced that their philosophy overlaps significantly with the Taliban.

The core of tankieism, as detailed elsewhere on this sub, is a simple tribalism. Thinking of it in terms of ideological consistency is a mistake.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Not even sure that sympathetic is really the right word. “Critical support”, when it’s not just used to mean “I love bootlicking but I realize it looks bad”, means something closer to “I understand these people are bad, but I think the opposition is worse” - ie that they regard weakening America as more important than opposing the Taliban.

As such, personally, I’m not saying that this guy loves the Taliban - but that he probably means ‘critical support’ more seriously than joking.

• r3df0x ✡️✝☪️@7.62x54r.ru
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Tankies are atheists and the Taliban are religious fundamentalists who oppose everything that modern tankies stand for. If anything they’re closer to the original tankies who had similar social values and who happened to be supported by Russian communist Islamists in the beginning. Islamists and the original Bolsheviks generally uphold the values of the Torah but the Marxists just put an atheist spin on it and called it secular morality.

This is the problem with ironically glorifying extremist groups is that many other people aren’t going to know that you’re joking. At least in places like Jreg’s community you generally have a sense of post irony.