• PugJesus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I think this was from the start an outrageous enough claim that I don’t think it was meant to be serious: Jesus invented the term?

Such phrasing is light-hearted, but that doesn’t mean the broader point isn’t meant sincerely. If someone says, “That’s why Jesus invented alcohol” after someone complains about having a hard day, that doesn’t mean that they literally believe Jesus invented alcohol, but it does mean that they regard alcohol as an appropriate response to the situation.

I’m not a fan of tankies, but I’m not convinced that their philosophy overlaps significantly with the Taliban.

The core of tankieism, as detailed elsewhere on this sub, is a simple tribalism. Thinking of it in terms of ideological consistency is a mistake.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Not even sure that sympathetic is really the right word. “Critical support”, when it’s not just used to mean “I love bootlicking but I realize it looks bad”, means something closer to “I understand these people are bad, but I think the opposition is worse” - ie that they regard weakening America as more important than opposing the Taliban.

As such, personally, I’m not saying that this guy loves the Taliban - but that he probably means ‘critical support’ more seriously than joking.