• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I mean, if you have the gui enabled and are just using it for web browsing it’s no different than windows.

• produnisOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yep, so why even use Windows nowadays?

• PM_ME_VINTAGE_30S [he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Because a handful of programs and likely my job will force me to use Windows. I’m interviewing next week for a position where they’ll give me “all IT equipment”, and there were several technical questions about Windows in a prior interview, so no Linux there.

Still, whenever I can choose to do so, e.g. at home, I pick Linux.

• Secret300@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Sounds to me like radical terrorism will help convince them to change to and port their programs to Linux

• OddFed@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Just go ahead and ask them. I mean I don’t know anything about your job, but usually nowadays there is little reason to stick to Windows with Office 365 and stuff.

Most of the time it just never got challenged because no one cared enough. So it’s not like they “insist on Windows”. It’s “they didn’t bother yet”.

Of course you’ll likely be faced with the myth of maintenance. Counter that with security (homogeneous environment is very good against malware and such) and missing license costs to convince the C*O. Done.

• azvasKvklenko@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I would straight up refuse job if it forced me to use Windows, however I mostly do server/cloud/dev so it just makes sense.

• desconectado@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Whaaaat? You filthy windows lover.

But seriously though, some people talk here like if folks have a choice.

• Misconduct@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Do you know how truly privileged you are to be able to consider not taking a source of income for something like that? Lol

• PM_ME_VINTAGE_30S [he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

That’s literally been the types of jobs I’ve been applying for, and they always want me to be an instant expert in their proprietary SCADA/DCS/PLC software even for “fresh graduate” positions. Not using proprietary software is tantamount to not working in manufacturing engineering.

• Affine Connection@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Because sometimes one has no choice, be it for your job, or hardware support, etc.

Unfortunately, there is some scientific and medical equipment that only supports Microsoft Windows (often obsolete versions, which is even worse).

• 0x2d@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

as much as I love Linux, some softwares don’t work with it

haven’t dualbooted windows yet though because I have a small drive and I don’t need Windows update fucking with my bootloader

• Pyro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

For general use, Linux is fantastic. But as other people have said, some software only works on other systems. Also, some software does run on Linux, but not acceptably so (for example, SteamVR).

• SatyrSack@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

But as other people have said, some software only works on other systems.

For most of the general tasks that people have traditionally used computers for, it seems that most people nowadays generally just use their phone. Usually when anyone decides to use an actual computer for something, it’s because they have a task that requires them to use some specific piece of software, and that software is unfortunately often only available on Windows/macOS.

• siderealyear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Yep, my kid is just starting to fool around with Minecraft and every time we play, I launch the client from the command line. Planting the seeds…

• 18107@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I have a friend who’s 91. He just started using Linux, and has had only minor issues that I was able to fix in seconds.

It’s nowhere near as difficult as it was 10 years ago.

• 0x2d@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

my (based) parents introduced me to lubuntu on a netbook as a kid

• NightAuthor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Best option for someone who’s only ever used Linux on servers, and who plays at least 1 game that does not run on Proton bc of EAC?

Split my m2 for a Linux partition and dual boot? Vm windows in Linux?

If dualbooting, advice on not accidentally overwriting my primary drive (again)

I already know I should use arch, right?

• dustyData@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Don’t partition the same drive for dual boot. Use an entirely different physical disk altogether and boot from there. It’s logistically simpler and less prone to failure (maybe you’ll need to finagle with UEFI secureboot). Maybe just use an SSD for Windows (no, don’t whine, you won’t notice the speed difference while in game).

For virtual machines, be aware that performance takes a massive hit. You can pass-through a graphics card, but you better be very comfortable with whatever virtualization solution you’re using because it’s the most technically complex and involved thing you can do with a VM. And you most likely will need a separate dedicated graphics card than the one your host system use (I think it’s hardware dependent now).

• bigdog_00@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

How is SailfishOS? I was keeping an eye on UBPorts (Ubuntu Touch), occasionally installing that on my Pixel 3a, but it just wasn’t there for me. Same for PostMarketOS, but the new GNOME Shell on mobile seems great. How is Android app support on SailfishOS?

• Shizu@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Honestly? It feels janky. I got it on the latest Xperia 10 III and it feels like a cheap toy compared to a Samsung Galaxy S21. The OS feels rough. The navigation gestures fail regularly (you use the same gesture for going back in an app and going back to the home screen. I often end up not getting back to the home screen but going back in the app.)

Android Apps feel stuttery. I compared surfing the same webpage on the built-in browser and brave browser thru Android. Jerboa is stuttery too when compared to a Samsung Galaxy. It’s def the Android layer and not the hardware as the native stuff works smoothly. Another concern of mine is the encryption. To my understanding the only encrypted part about the OS is the /home folder nothing else. Android runs in /opt tho (except for the sdcard stuff. That’s in the /home folder). This means all configs and passwords and stuff is freely accessible when the device gets accessed thru a third party(?).

However! It’s really cool as it’s unusual and it runs linux so you are free to do whatever you feel like. That’s a huge plus. In my opinion: if you need many android apps in your daily life, better go with something like GrapheneOS. Sailfish is great if you use the native stuff and occasionally android apps. (Although… now that I think about it. The built-in weather app doesn’t currently work as the api key jolla used to access the weather service isn’t valid anymore…)

• bigdog_00@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I actually went to GrapheneOS from my iPhone, after deciding none of the other option were going to work for me. Bummer about the encryption, maybe that can be fixed?

• Shizu@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I’m actually in the process of trying out various attack vectors. I’m trying to find out if it’s actually possible to get access to everything besides /home as the Xperia 10 III doesn’t have any custom recoveries yet. About the encryption I’m not sure tho. I could try and also encrypt dalvik using the same LUKS encryption but im afraid that might break some things. At least the /home folder is fairly safe if you choose a strong enough password.

• Shizu@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I found out that all app related android stuff is actually located in /home/.android/ so it seems your data is fairly secure - provided your encryption key is reasonably good. I also tried enabling Android Stock Encryption through the dalvik settings but Android Support just crashes when trying to enable that. Must be because Android is just translated and not emulated and the devs didn’t implement the encryption.

• bastian_5@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The child already looks tired of the bullshit that happens with Linux. A few days ago I discovered that I had either a 6 or 8 gigabyte swap file. I have 20 gigs of ram already, and was running out of a 32 GB SD card…

• 0x2d@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

you’re using an SD card as swap space? not sure how to interpret this

• bastian_5@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I’m using an SD card as a temporary main storage. I could technically put in an ssd, but I lost/broke the part where a screw would go to hold it in place (it’s a strange laptop…), so the only option I would have is to tape it, and I don’t feel comfortable letting it potentially flop around in there… As for what a swap file is (that’s the name I found for it), it is virtual memory. It was reserving that space to use as RAM if need be, when I already have 2/3rds as much ram as storage.

• 0x2d@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

You don’t have to make a swap partition while partitioning your disk 💀