• Usernameblankface@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Yeah, I think once you get to the point where the car needs the frame worked on, it’s probably going to get scrapped whether it has a cast frame or not.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

… on a 1st world country.

we definetly do those kinds of repairs over here

• pirat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Probably because trucks are industrial vehicles built to be driven millions of km*, and therefore are a much bigger investment, so the repair is more often “worth it” than for personal vehicles.

Also, one truck can have the cargo capacity of many cargo vans, and one bus in pendular movement has the capacity of many personal cars, so each truck/bus repair will have a greater impact.

*At least, that’s the case for buses, according to a schoolbus driver when I was a kid.

• bemenaker@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

This is for cars and small SUVs. The trucks still have frames. The cars and small SUVs are already unibodies. Just not multi-segmented unibodies. The two differences are that its multi-segmented, and the metal is cast, instead of forged in a stamping press.

• epyon22@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

What this seems like is it would replace things that are normally spot welded or glued together, things I can think off the top of my head that are like this are the front radiator support and strut towers in various cars. When these items are bent or rusted you can usually buy these peices. See skyline r34 strut tower rust issues. On this new proposed design your options would be to replace the whole front or rear third of your car, or precision cutting and welding a piece in, which may be inaccessable because of the casting design.

• Usernameblankface@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Now there I can see how this design might make more problems than it solves. Bending the mounts of different parts might total the car.

• Thetimefarm@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Welding a casting is a lot more dubious even if you can access it easily. If the original material was welded together chances are it can be rewelded without much issue. Most successfull welds in cast material I’ve seen have been in compression, it tends to split around the weld when you put it under tension.