i use windows because its the only os i know how to use. i want to get into things like torrenting because free stuff is cool but im afraid to. ive heard of tails os, a os that boots from a flash drive, is that worth checking out or should i stick with windows?

what is your advice? what should i do?

• driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

You don’t need to jump from Windows to TAILS cor torrents, try mint that is basically the same user experience as windows xp.

• GrappleHat@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

If you care about privacy and wanna use Windows… God help you…

You want Linux my friend

• GrappleHat@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

…and if you want to torrent then you need a respectable peer-to-peer VPN service like ProtonVPN

• zzzzz@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Mullvad is no longer ideal for torrenting because they discontinued port forwarding. Airvpn is a good alternative that still provides port forwarding.

• msage@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

The topic is privacy, torrents are not very private to begin with, and Mullvad uses disk-less servers and you can pay with cash.

• Tippon@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

i want to get into things like torrenting

The second line of the original post. The topic is privacy and torrenting

• Rick_C137@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

and a True Linux ! not one that has been “infected” with parts that do not respect The Four Essential Freedoms of Free Software

So avoid Ubuntu for example…

have a look a this video https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/20140407-geneva-tedx-talk-free-software-free-society/

And for a Linux distrio have a look at https://www.devuan.org 💓

and about windows --> https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

• QuietStorm@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

ok ill give linux a try then but is there a certain version of linux you would suggest? one person suggest mint btw. if i go with Linux do i need a vpn or am i good without one?

• msage@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You need VPN to hide your traffic from your internet provider, your OS will not help with that. Use Mullvad, nothing else.

If you want more secure OS, that will respect your privacy, your only options are Linux or BSD. If you only have experience with Windows, go with Linux Mint. Keep in mind that it is a fork of Ubuntu, so guides and packages for Ubuntu will work for Mint almost always.

Mint is more suited for newcomers.

• msage@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

The topic is privacy, torrents are not very private to begin with, and Mullvad uses disk-less servers and you can pay with cash.

• ikiru@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I use Ubuntu Budgie and that works perfect for me, but I hear Mint is good for beginners too.

And if you live in the US, always use a VPN when torrenting. But if you live in a country where you know no one will give a shit about you downloading a movie, then have at it.

In terms of digital security best practices, though, you should pretty much always use a VPN anyway. And follow this guide if you feel like you do need a VPN when torrenting.

• Lemongrab@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Mint was designed to be easy for windows users. Learn some stuff about the package manager (software manager for GUI, and either apt or apt-get) and you should be alright. Fyi Linux Mint is basically Ubuntu (but with some good changes) so find what Ubuntu version you are running (using cat /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release in the terminal) and thats what software is compatable. I’d avoid full drive encryption because Timeshift (system snapshot app) doesn’t work with ZFS drive partitions.

• stifle867@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

There’s a lot of helpful comments here and being your age is a great time to start tinkering with computers! Just start by installing them into a VirtualBox because if you don’t have the knowledge it’s very easy to break things and anyone else that has to use the computer isn’t going to be very happy with you.

However, I want to point out something that actually address your concerns.

1. If you are concerned about getting “caught” for torrenting then Windows vs any other OS makes zero difference.
    2. If you are concerned about viruses, Linux is more secure based on the fact that most viruses target Windows. However, this does not mean it is impossible. Learning basic security practices will help you on Windows and much as any other OS.
    • ruepfe@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Can recommend this, too!

I used their script several years ago to debloat my win10. It needed to boot into linux to fully get rid of certain files and features, but this worked fine.

They now have different scripts used as playbooks to get win to the desired state. Haven’t tried yet.

• Killercat103@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

A “just works” distribution like Linux Mint is miles ahead compared to Windows and Tails OS is a step even further as it is only Live and routes everything through TOR.

Linux is not hard to be honest. Your main concern in difficulty is third-party software support. (Creative cloud and office 365 does not work for instance.)

If you want to try out any of these, just ask me if you need any help

• thanksforallthefish@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

office 365 does not work for instance.

Well that’s not true

O365 via the browser works perfectly fine and has done for years. You can’t install windows executable apps if that’s what you meant

• Imprint9816@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

If all you want to do is torrent just use a vpn, as it sounds like all you really want is to avoid DMCA notices.

This is a good lesson in understanding your threat model.

• Boring@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Tails isn’t really designed for daily driving. I’d go for a user friendly distro like Ubuntu if you an on switching from windows.

It is possible to make windows a little more private if you didn’t want to switch. Here’s a pretty good guide in modifying the the iso before installing: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/create-custom-windows-11-install-disk

Modifying window does help users gain more control and privacy, but windows is proprietary so a person can only do so much. Be careful on what you remove if you GI this route, windows relies on weird apps to function.

Another note, I wouldn’t be afraid of torrenting. The inky person that would care that your getting free movies and such is your ISP, and you can just flip on a VPN to clear their radar.

• squid@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Download whatever distro seems interesting, if tails is something you want to try then try it I actually had a similar introduction to Linux but I doubt youd stick with tails as its not a daily not to say tails doesn’t have its place. I personal like arch distros and if your moving from windows you’d probably like KDE plasma. Using Linux won’t instantly net you privacy, this is something that you’d need to pro actively aim to be private, like what is the URL for the pirate bay, 1337x, can I trust this torrent? Which browser do you use and search engine, what torrent client can be trusted.

I’d recommend using transmission, qbittorrent or anything Foss with half decent user base. VPN you’ve got proton free, mullvad costs but I’d say its worth it or you can tunnel through tor network. Distros you’ve got lots of options, recommend you look at distrowatch or youtubers like distrotube. Find a small pall of trust worthy torrent sites and names of trust worthy repackere, fitgirl, dodi, jc141 to name a few.

But most importantly. Make sure to seed 🙃

• phanto@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

One thing I have done more of, of late, is using an external drive plugged in to the fastest usb port I’ve got (thunderbolt, in my case), and installing Mint on there. I’ve got an NVME enclosure with Linux Mint Debian Edition on it, and it has a USB A or C cable, so I can boot into it from several different computers. It’s also great for rescuing files off of non-booting Windows machines. You take a bit of a speed hit, but it’s not as bad as you’d think, and it fits in my pocket. (Good party trick, too.)

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

If Windows is the only thing you know how to use, don’t use tails. Use something that has a KDE desktop environment which is like Windows. Suggestions for distros in these comments are pretty good. It’ll look and operate like windows, except you install apps from app stores like you do on your phone.

• equinox [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

As another commenter suggested, you should probably use Linux Mint for that purpose, since Mint is far easier to use, plus Tails resets itself upon shutdown so you’d need an external drive for permanent storage.

If you absolutely must stay on Windows, there’s a project called Atlas OS that tries to strip a Windows installation of its telemetry and bloat, however there are privacy concerns with that, like up until a little while ago it actually disabled Windows Defender by default

• QuietStorm@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

if i go with linux or linux mint do i need a vpn or something or am i good without one? sorry if im being paranoid.

• driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Your worry is the OS (Microsoft) spying on you or you ISP? If is the first you are good with Linux, if is the second then you need a VPN.

• Fluid@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Google Linux Mint. Install. Enjoy having your computer back again.

• KairuByte@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, I have to agree. No explanation, no information, just vague instructions and a promise of “your computer back” without actually saying what that means.