What is everyone else hosting? What am I missing?

• stevestevesteve@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Personal preference: Jellyfin instead of plex

Some that I run that you don’t seem to have anything for:

• Lancache (if you have several gaming PCs on the network or host any kind of lan party)
    • surveillance camera software e.g. shinobi
    • I see grafana, but other monitoring services like icinga, librenms, etc
    • Mayan EDMS - I’ve found this really helpful as anything I get in the mail, I scan in, and this makes it all searchable and retrievable.
    • There’s a whole hole you could dig if you start getting into home automation (I use home assistant)
    • Windex007@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been looking at something for my cameras. I got Zoneminder running but configuring its behaviour was a nightmare.

All I want is to keep a limited rotating backup of a few cameras. Would Shinobi do that?

• chandz05@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So I do have a jellyfin instance, but for some reason it couldn’t play some video formats that Plex could. I haven’t looked into it in too much detail yet though. And definitely need to look into Shinobi or frigate! Thanks for the suggestions!

• rov3r@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Check your encoding settings! Also if you use an iOS client, I highly recommend Swiftfin, as it seemed to support direct play on some files the Jellyfin app wouldn’t play at first. I’m still new to it too, but after I got my GTX 1080Ti set up on the right encoding settings, it’s been nothing but butter with everything I throw at it.

• ivyZorz@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What about Jellyfin do you prefer? I remember jellyfin not having the greatest hw encoding when I tried but that may be different now.

I use Intel Quick Sync and getting that to work with Plex through Unraid was a breeze. I certainly did not have the same experience with Jellyfin at the time.

• stevestevesteve@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I’m a huge supporter of open source, so Plex being closed alone makes it gross to me. Very little about Plex felt selfhosted.

I also like to tinker a lot and jellyfin lets me screw around with much more under the hood - precise encoding settings, dlna customizations, I’m sure there’s more but the primary driver was ideology. I’m not giving my money to some company that’s primarily developing features I don’t want so that I can use my own media to the fullest.

I’ve had very little issue with hardware accelerated encoding, but I already had the right drivers installed and on unix OSes that’s probably the hardest part

• ivyZorz@vlemmy.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Thanks for the response! I think I’ll give it another shot when I get home. I’ve been procrastinating some of my home assistant projects so this is perfect haha

• ChillPill@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wish I had the time/energy to host this much… Currently I’m running

• Plex
    • Nextcloud (snap on ubuntu VM because its easy)
    • pihole
    • pivpn

I’m also running Jellyfin and Navidrome, in an attempt to determine if they are good alternatives to Plex for like 6 months at this point. See comments above about time/energy.

• rambos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Jellyfin ftw

I didnt use any speciall features on plex, but for me the only advantage of plex was the abbility to have all movies/tv shows in one folder. After switching to jellyfin and *arrs the folder structure is sorted so I have 0 reasons to consider plex again

• rambos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Idk is it jellyfin or bazarr (probably bazarr), but subtitles are working fine here.

• artificial_unintelligence@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m also dual running Plex and Jellyfin. Ive had a few files I’ve downloaded that Plex won’t play but Jellyfin will. I like plexs UX a smidge better but if more issues like that pop up I’ll be a convert

• jsnfwlr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Things I have that I don’t see on the list

• Home Assistant
    • Frigate
    • Mosquitto
    • ESPHome
    • Gitea
    • SyncThing
    • Weavescope
    • Vaultwarden
    • Keyper
    • Kanboard
      • jsnfwlr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Home assistant is a home automation hub that integrates with almost everything.

Mosquitto is an MQTT message queue.

Frigate is an NVR that works with many camera systems and offers AI detection

ESPHome is a platform for programming ESP32/ESP8266 based devices for home automation

Gitea is a self hosted alternive to GitHub and includes an action runner

SyncThing is a peer to peer sync tool that allows you to sync PC to PC, mobile to PC, and mobile to mobile.

WeaveScope is a tool for detecting and monitoring containers across multiple hosts

Vaultwarden is a rust-based alternative server for BitWarden

Keyper is a container that manages SSH key authentication in a great way

Kanboard is a kanban board

• Spezi@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Do you run homepage next to HA?

I mean homepage looks very sleek and I had a sudden urge to set it up :-) , but tbh, having HA set up for both browser/tablet and phone, I don’t think I’d ever actually look at homepage…

• jsnfwlr@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I do, but it’s for a semi-unique situation.

I have Homepage running for my Work VLAN, without all the personal hosted stuff, and I am even thinking of building extensions for Homepage to add buildkite and JIRA so it better suits my work dashboard needs.

• dan@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Awesome thank you, definitely a few there that I could make use of!

• mathesonian@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

My Setup:

DOCKER

• Plex (never had good experiences with Jellyfin unfortunately)
    • Radaar
    • Sonarr
    • Lidarr
    • Readarr
    • Jackett
    • Prowlarr
    • qbittorrent
    • MariaDB
    • phpmyadmin
    • BookStack
    • LibreNMS
    • portainer
    • watchtower
    • pihole (2)
    • Nginx

All running in docker on two synologys. Only other things I’m running is an old CloudKey for the Unifi APs and HomeAssistant on HomeAssistant yellow (pi cm4)

• chandz05@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Y’know, I’ve played around with Organizr a little bit and didn’t quite like it. I think I had some trouble setting it up or something. I’ll probably go back to try it again at some point

• J_C___@lemmy.place
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve been using doplarr with great success, one less port I need to forward/service to configure

• sijt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I moved from Organizr to Homepage via Heimdall.

I had no end of issues with Organizr. It felt like something broke with each update and performance was pretty bad (not to mention some apps just not working with it). Seemed to be pretty common when I last tried it a couple of years ago, there were lots of similar complaints.

The good thing about Homepage is that the widgets mean you rarely have to go in to each app’s ui, so it actually saves me time.

• Windex007@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you have any smart devices in your home (and even many use cases outside of that) you could run “homeassistant” to pipe all your different smart devices through a common, extensible, scriptable interface.

• bigdummy91@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Shinobi seems to be pretty lightweight though. I’m running it in an orangepi zero recording 4 cameras 24/7 and streaming their feeds with no hardware issues from the orangepi. Would frigate be able to run on light hardware?

• picklestehbutt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Object detection will be a challenge, especially for multiple cameras. It’ll probably be fine if you have an Intel processor with quick sync.

I’m running Blue Iris on a Windows VM. I also have codeproject.ai on an Ubuntu VM with a Quadro P2000 for object detection (it also does Plex transcoding, the object detection doesn’t stress it very much).

My previous “home server” was a raspberry pi 4 running home assistant and motioneye for 2 cameras. It was able to handle it with a reasonable amount of headroom. That being said, I couldn’t imagine an SBC being able to handle object detection on top of that.

• dai@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ve got frigate running on a HAOS VM as an add-on. 2 cameras both running detection with only 2 cores dedicated to frigate.

Using proxmox on an old Intel 5960x, very minimal usage I’m sure you would see reasonable results on an orangepi. I guess make a backup of your SD / NVME before wiping and testing.

Been meaning to tweak detection as it’s a bit slow right now, wanting some automations built around person / presence detection utilising zone detection but it’s too slow right now.

• chandz05@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Whoa haven’t heard of plex_debrid until now. How is the quality with the streams? Can quality be controlled like how downloads are with sonarr/radar?

• FrayDabson@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah you can. The guy who makes it has done excellent work and has an active discord server. I love it.

• Reef@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Could you share your settings file, or at least the background and icons? I love the aesthetic

• chandz05@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You know, I considered it. But I would rather set that up on a VPS rather than something under my desk 😂

• Noogs@lemmy.noogs.me
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My list:

• Home assistant
    • Jellyfin
    • Lemmy
    • Lidarr
    • Pihole
    • Prowlarr
    • Radarr
    • Readarr
    • Sonarr
    • Tdarr
    • UniFi Controller
    • Windows VMs for domain, and clustered file storage.
    • Zoneminder