• Erdosan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Actually, too much of 1 and/or no color at all is also bad, overhydrated is also a thing, drinking 3 liters water a day is really not necessary.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s really hard to be over hydrated. My urine is almost always clear because I always have water handy and drink it whenever I feel like it, which is frequently. I’m not over hydrated. Sure, 3 liters is a bit excessive, but ideally your urine will be clear, unless you’re doing things like drinking a bunch of soda or things that will darken your urine because your kidneys are filtering things out.

Just have water easily accessible and drink it whenever you have the desire and you’ll probably be good.

• DrMango@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

While true “hyper hydration” is indeed pretty difficult to get to if your urine is always clear you could probably stand to take in a bit less water throughout the day, and make sure you’re taking in enough salts to keep your electrolyte levels balanced.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Maybe I could drink less. I only drink when I want to though. It’s not like I’m over-hydrating, just I naturally want to drink a good amount of water. I add extra salts if I feel the need, which I think my body does a pretty good job of making me crave when I’m low. I just listen to what my body wants and I seem to be pretty healthy for it.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

this feels very over the top, i don’t think it’s a good idea to force yourself to drink a bunch of water just because your pee is dark…

Just use the colour as a general indicator, if you routinely have dark urine that means you should keep easier access to water during the day, and if it’s ever amber just go chug a glass right away (not an entire bottle, what the fuck).

• CarlsIII@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I can honestly say I never have (and still never will) put any more thought into this other than “yellow or clear.” The day I pull this chart out and hold it against my toilet bowl, please send me to the home.

• lorty@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

If it’s clear, tour drinking too much water, be careful with that too.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

it’s actively difficult to die from overhydration though, you’re most likely to vomit before you even come close to it.

• lorty@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It isn’t really about dying of too much water; the real problem is losing vitamins and other things from too much peeing

• Aviandelight @mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

If you are at a 7 or 8 on the regular you’ve got bigger problems than dehydration. That’s liver or kidney failure territory.

• VikingHippie@lemmy.wtf
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I prefer the one that illustrates it using types of beer and advises seeking medical attention if it’s the color of a stout 😁

Red ales weren’t included in the chart, probably because they assumed people knew…

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Red ales weren’t included in the chart, probably because they assumed people knew…

See now you say that, but I ended up getting rushed to hospital for a kidney stone after peeing blood on and off for a week.

Don’t underestimate stupid.

Nowadays if I’m anxious I will actually dream/have nightmares about peeing blood. It’s not fun.

PSA: If you’re peeing blood, that’s not a good thing. Go to hospital immediately.

• kraftpudding@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Dumb question: is this referencing the color in the toilet bowl, when diluted with water? If so, how much water, because different kind of bowls can have very different amounts of water. Or pure?

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Fairly dumb answer, it doesn’t really matter. If it’s dark you should try to drink more water. It should be light enough that it doesn’t really effect the water in the toilet bowl much at all.

• kraftpudding@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Why though? The water should dilute it more and change the color, especially with some american toilet bowls, because some water levels are insane.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I guess if it’s a huge amount of water you could not notice the color. If it’s clear then it’s clear though. If it’s not, you’ll probably notice either place unless it’s a something crazy. I guess just look at the stream if that’s your position.