EndeavourOS is moving to KDE Plasma for its live environment and offline installer from Xfce. You’ll hear no complaints from me!

• sanpo@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

What big update? Wayland has been pretty usable (on AMD, anyway) for a while now.

• anon232@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Will that make it more usable for nvidia users? I hope to someday try SteamOS with nvidia but I think most of the wayland issues are what’s preventing that.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

EOS and KDE are basically what SteamOS is running on the back-end. They use Plasma as their DE, and they use Arch as their OS. It’s just highly tailored to their hardware since it’s all AMD-based and AMD drivers have been open source forever.

There are offshoot projects that build from the SteamOS source and then include Nvidia drivers, but I haven’t found one that was as functional as just running Endeavor and customizing it in the way that a Steam Deck would be designed for gaming.

• anon232@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yeah that’s basically what I’m doing now but using xorg instead of wayland. So I cant use stuff like gamescope and the steam big picture is horribly laggy for whatever reason with nvidia cards.

Next GPU upgrade I’ll go team red but until then I’m stuck with the nvidia card.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Since then they’ve made their driver open source.

No, they didn’t. They open sourced the kernel module interfacing with the actual driver that’s in user space. The actual OpenGL, Vulkan, etc. implementations are all closed source.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Also their “open source” commit updates are one-shot for any version updates and nothing in between. Makes it pretty hard to contribute to.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s not great on Nvidia. KDE’s dev team have announced a big Plasma update, specifically focused on Wayland support to be released around February.

I have a 3090 and some stuff works, some stuff doesn’t. I am forced to use it because X will lock refresh rates to the rate of the lowest monitor, so my 165hz screens were not being used to their fullest until I swapped over to Wayland which supports multiple monitor refresh rates.

Often I will find system components freezing up. The task bar, for example, will often stop being useable and freeze up. I have had the digital clock widget freeze up on me, which requires a relog to fix. It also doesn’t totally work on transparent themes, rendering them without the translucency.

• russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

The task bar, for example, will often stop being useable and freeze up. I have had the digital clock widget freeze up on me, which requires a relog to fix.

Thankfully this has been tracked down, and will be fixed for Plasma 6. If you run into it, you can hit Alt+F2 and run kwin_wayland --replace which will restart the shell.

If you go into edit mode, and edit the task bar widget that shows your running applications, disable the option that shows window previews upon hovering over the application. Apparently that is the thing that causes the renderer to fail on non Intel GPU systems. Here’s the bug report that goes over the whole history if you’re interested.

Definitely feel you on the overall Nvidia Wayland KDE issues. I really wish I was in a position to be able to pickup an AMD GPU.

• Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

There’s still weird bugs with Plasma Wayland unrelated to GPUs too. For whatever reason, dragging a file from a notification (e.g. Spectacle when a screenshot is saved) to Discord will make the shell just quit and restart…

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

On AMD is usually great but still has bugs, klipper with xwayland is a mess and cant be disabled, for example. But on Nvidia is … Bad