cross-posted from: https://lemmy.fmhy.ml/post/545658

Inactive Google Account Policy

A Google Account gives you Google-wide access to most Google products, such as Google Ads, Gmail, and YouTube, using the same username and password.

An inactive Google Account is an account that has not been used within a 2-year period. Google reserves the right to delete an inactive Google Account and its activity and data if you are inactive across Google for at least two years.

Google also reserves the right to delete data in a product if you are inactive in that product for at least two years. This is determined based on each product’s inactivity policies.

How Google defines activity

A Google Account that is in use is considered active. Activity might include these actions you take when you sign in or while you’re signed in to your Google Account:

• Reading or sending an email
  • Using Google Drive
  • Watching a YouTube video
  • Sharing a photo
  • Downloading an app
  • Using Google Search
  • Using Sign in with Google to sign in to a third-party app or service

Google Account activity is demonstrated by account and not by device. You can take actions on any surface where you’re signed in to your Google Account, for example, on your phone.

If you have more than one Google Account set up on your device, you’ll want to make sure each account is used within a 2-year period.

What happens when your Google Account is inactive

When your Google Account has not been used within a 2-year period, your Google Account, that is then deemed inactive, and all of its content and data may be deleted. Before this happens, Google will give you an opportunity to take an action in your account by:

• Sending email notifications to your Google Account
  • Sending notifications to your recovery email, if any exists

Google products reserve the right to delete your data when your account has not been used within that product for a 2-year period.

December 1, 2023 is the earliest a Google Account will be deleted due to this policy.

• XanXic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I know this sounds dumb probably but 2 years is too short a time. Considering how email is basically the backbone of the Internet deleting old accounts after 2 years sounds nightmarish. People will be forever locked out of things. I even have like 6 Gmail accounts I use for different things. Like I’m going to have to login and rotate through them every now and again just to be sure.

Needs to be like five years or something considering they were presumably eternity before. You can still use Hotmail accounts.

If they recycle the email address so other people can use them that’s a whole other bag of worms. Like people.will find old email lists and try recreating them and seeing what they can get into. Expect your dead grandma to be suddenly posting on Facebook soon about great opportunities.

I get like emptying data out. Sure delete all their drive files and emails after 2 years but the account itself should never be.

• cybersandwich@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Can I ask why you think that’s too short? It seems like a long time for no activity on an account. And they are fairly generous about defining activity.

This seems reasonable to me.

• zalack@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I have a couple accounts I use as usernames to log into stuff, but I couldn’t tell you if I’ve actually logged in to those email addresses in the last two years.

• zalack@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Even if it’s just as a username? How would Google even know about that?

I’m not saying “sign in with Google” sign ins. Just that I use that email address as a username in a couple places

• UnhappyCamper@kbin.social
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Hmm I see what you mean, yeah the only use for that email would be to get a lost password associated with that username then, it wouldn’t actually get activated.

• Tashlan@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Someone in jail for a two year stint that ends in December may be emerging to find the email they had for twenty years, which may be the key to most of their other accounts, is gone, which could be hugely impactful.

In my personal life, I do now have the unfortunate task of reminding people to log into dead relative’s email accounts so they can preserve some shit they need, which kind of sucks.

• cybersandwich@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

The jail one seems a little “edge case” but the dead relative one is interesting. I think Google’s “takeout” would help with that.

• Tashlan@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

How do we define edge case? Incarceration is a fact of life, and in the US we have somewhere around one in a hundred Americans jailed. It’s not an insubstantial sum of people, and like military deployments, is something that should be accounted for when looking at scenarios where someone might be away from their computer for a sum of time.

• boonhet@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yeah, my gmail account is old enough to go buy beer at this point. It’s no longer my primary email. I could see not logging into it for 5 years and then needing it to access some obscure service again.

As far as I’m concerned, by making gmail the default email service (to the point, by the way, that they WILL rate limit your business emails if you’re self-hosting instead of using google suite or another major email provider) AND the default login method (through OAuth), they’ve taken up some new responsibilities. It’s up to them to make sure that nobody ever loses their account or EVEN an email unless explicitly deleted.

I reckon maybe 50 years of inactivity would be enough to warrant an account deletion.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

If I logged back into an account (in any system) I hadn’t used in years and found it was gone, I wouldn’t be that surprised. If I got into the account but found the information it held was gone, I’d be pissed. One is simple upkeep, the other feels like tampering.

That being said, if you haven’t even accessed anything in an account in several years, why have it? The only thing I can think of where you wouldn’t ever have accessed it (thereby keeping it alive in Google’s definition) would be as archived storage. That’s pretty dangerous to do in someone else’s cloud, assuming it will be fine. Even active storage it’s still recommended to have redundancy in backup locations.

I used some of those free websites years ago for storage and holding animation movies. They would have a policy of removing an account after only a month of inactivity. So while I was using them I’d make sure to log in regularly…I did not expect them to keep things around when I moved on to other things, it’s why I copied the files I wanted to keep to other places locally.

• Tashlan@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

if you haven’t even accessed anything in an account in several years, why have it?

Email is a bit different to me than like cloud storage, because so much gets tied there – social media, banking, etc., that I don’t like the idea of gambling with it unless I’m sure an account is a throwaway. People incarcerated, hospitalized or dead may not be able to regularly access their email, yet the information inside may be vital to them and their family.

Ghoulish, but as I mentioned earlier, now I have to remind people to be sure to log into their dead relative’s email accounts to preserve information.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

This is why it’s great to have discussions - I never even considered those possibilities. My concern about pushing the responsibility onto Google to keep them forever still remains. Even if Google intended to make them permanent, that doesn’t guarantee anything at all. A hacked account, loss of power/backups at Google, Google going away (I mean they aren’t immune to that)…there’s ways to backup vital information on anything, and even though I’m hypocritical in saying so, everyone should always have one or even two backups in different places for everything. Because shit does happen, all the time, and even if you could file against Google for any loss, the data is still gone if there’s no other source.

• FrostBolt@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The problem is it isn’t just data backups, it’s that one’s email is the backing account for many other accounts online either as a TFA or as the username for some site.

• DrNeurohax@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Which is why you need at least 1 account recovery email that isn’t yours, and that person should have your password/2FA key saved somewhere secure.

As for dead relatives, I’ve had a couple and I exported all their data, deleted everything from the account, and I check them around once per year. I figure 5 years is enough, but by 10, there isn’t really any reason to keep it going.

• Vamp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Oh that’s fucked up, that means really fucking old videos on YouTube could be lost.

• Sam@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Once an account is deleted will you be able to make a new account with the old email? This could be a security nightmare for old accounts tied to google email addresses.

• db2@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Whoever snaps up Satoshi’s email account will be one lucky bastard, though with our luck it’ll be that douche Craig Wright.

• ShadowRunner@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I gave up completely on Google accounts after they kept flagging make-believe security issues and made it near impossible to verify that it’s yours.

Even if you have a secondary email configured (and this would be what it’s for) - but oh, no, that’s still not good enough for them.

Then they pulled the utter bullshit of requiring your phone number “so they can make sure it’s you” - but since there was never a phone number associated with the account, this is clearly nothing more than a data grab so they can associate real identities with their accounts.

That was the last straw for me, and I decided that their service was utter garbage, completely unreliable, and not worth using anymore.

• Matdan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How does that work? Some emails are just for setting up access to things and are never used. Like gaming accounts, verification purposes etc. You would lose access to stuff you regularly use because you can’t verify.

This would mean losing parts of your internet identity.

• Eeyore_Syndrome@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Will that trigger accounts old…myspace accounts for example to auto close/delete when they finally have invalid emails??? For science…

• Varyl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not as any sort of domino effect, those sites won’t know it’s invalid and even if they get bounced emails most wont have an automated process to close the accounts, and certainly not delete them.

It will just obviously make it even harder to get back into them, or easier if google opens up that email as registerable now?

• WigglingWalrus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How does this work for a google account that I’ve got linked in gmail to my standard google account? Is that classed as active or do I need to login to each one manually still?

• BrambleDog@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Begins?

Have you attempted to do a search in the last 3 years. It’s unuseable these days essentially.

• huzzah@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Maybe this is an internet inflection point. Reddit, Twitter, and now Google/Gmail death rattles heared around. What are some Google/Gmail decentralized alternatives? Some might be depressed, but I’m excited about this new possible internet! I love the idea of decentralized internet protocols! Back to origins of online communication without CEOs, shareholders, and large marketing firms all trying to squeeze us for every nickle and dime.