• lps2@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Hmmm, we have a company who’s success has been largely due to it’s large network of developers and the outgoing CEO tried to destroy that community… Who should replace them? Oh, I know, someone who took another company who’s success was based on a large network of developers and successfully killed that community

• Cylusthevirus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I bet if we mapped out the relationships between various CEOs and boards of directors we could predict these selections rather well…

• lps2@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Which I get - I’m starting the candidate gathering stage for a fairly senior role and the pool of candidates I have to choose from is already quite small given the requirements and niche product and of course I am going to defer to those I have worked with in the past as I know what they can do. I just find it funny that when faced with a very specific issue that unity picked someone who has a track record of fumbling that exact issue

• gnate@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

The role being filled must not be for CEO, as they rarely seem to care what their background is (or the track record, for that matter.)

• ydieb@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

But he has worked as a ceo before and thus has ceo experience! /s and thus the circle (jerk) continues.

• body_by_make@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

This dude is just an interim CEO, and he’s only an interim CEO for Unity because he’s a special contractor for the largest investing company in Unity. He’s only there to do normal duties while the board looks for a full time CEO.

• lps2@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s just funny given the community backlash both companies have faced in recent days

• Dieguito 🦝@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

You literally stole the words from my mouth. If the board of directors appointed him it must have been for his “glorious” curriculum. He is very qualified indeed to continue the work of his predecessor.

• P03 Locke@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

So, when this guy eventually fucks up the company even more, can they fire him and hire the ex-CEO of Quibi? Or maybe the asshole from Mattel who made that horrible D&D licensing agreement?

Oh, oh, I know… Steve Huffman! Perfect fit!

• lps2@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

It’s funny you joke about Quibi because those people all went over to Airtable and what do you know, they have turned a great product into a loser because they have no idea how to get their shit together and actually go public. They’re past their series F - they’ve got nowhere to go and the CFO only knows how to fund raise and she gutted their finance department that was actually working to get them compliant enough to go public. A couple years ago or so they fired their controller who specializes in taking companies public and it’s been downhill since.

Sorry for the rant but this is the world and people I work with and have had a front row seat to the shit show (well, more like a few rows back)

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve posted this elsewhere but I’ll say it again: I nominate Keijiro Takahashi as the interim CEO. I don’t think there are many who understand unity at a 1:1 mindmeld level like that. Set a new set of goals, get LTS into actual LTS shape, unify the pipelines, restore confidence, save the princess, drive the darkness from the lands and forge a path to profitability that doesn’t alienate unity’s most valuable asset, the community.

UNITY MUST CLEAN HOUSE, NEW BOARD AND CEO. Otherwise we’re going to just cycle through this bullshit with different clowns at the wheel.

• P03 Locke@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Otherwise we’re going to just cycle through this bullshit with different clowns at the wheel.

Why not pretend that Unity is a lost cause and move on? They have permanent lost your trust for life.

If you are still developing on Unity, it’s because you’re addicted to it. Switch engines now!

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Yeah a few steps ahead of you bud, neck deep in openxr on godot now.

edit:

tho thanks for the smarmy ‘you’re addicted’ - you realize people have projects in progress? that swapping engines isn’t trivial?

thanks for your silly concern tho. perhaps work on the way you talk to folks.

• kingthrillgore@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

“we should switch engines and impact morale and throw out all that money, were 90% from releasing with the last non-ass LTS release”

That’s what you sound like and I am a Godot advocate.

• thanksforallthefish@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Errm could you specify which of the board members of Unity are board members of a Musk company ?

Because none if those ring any bells for Tesla or SpaceX (and I assume the board of twitter is now half a dozen saudi princes given the own most of it)

• brax@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

“Introducing the X Engine (XE) - the free-speech, anti-woke gaming engine formerly known as Unity! To show our dedication to anti-wokeness we will only allow String and Long variable types, and to show my dedication to being a free-speech edgelord, functions will now be referred to as fucktions. Professional access to XE will be $420.69 monthly, with additional fees added on based on the success of the product you created.”

• SebTorres@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I mean, let’s be honest. Integers are just a waste of money and storage. I’ll go there myself and disconnect the integers from the engine.

• kingthrillgore@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You know what, I’m all for it. Nothing would sink Unity faster than whatever they pulled last than to appoint Elon.