A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it - The Guardian

• 🐱TheCat@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I really like it, I got excited. But …can we please build some for sale units in walkable areas and not just rental units? This live-by-subscription bullshit is out of hand

• logicbomb@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’m not them, but generally, the appeal of ownership is that if you don’t own it, then somebody else does, and that person or company is making profit from the relationship. So, ownership seems like it should be cheaper.

• LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

To me it’s about having a real home that you can call yours and the stability that comes with that. In many rental properties you can be evicted on the whim of the owner—usually not immediately but after some warning period. With ownership as long as you pay your bills you know you’ll have a place to live and where it will be barring some exceptional catastrophe.

• cooljacob204@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You can actually fix shit. For example, I have electric heating at the moment. Power bill in winter fucking sucks. If I owned the place I would have installed split air.

• Takumidesh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Stability (your (fixed rate) mortgage payment doesn’t change, control (within reasonable limitations, I can mount things to walls, pour concrete in the back yard, rip up the floors and put hardwood, etc), the ability to actually pay it off and no longer have to worry about the payment (even if its a long way out for a 30 year mortgage, you build equity instead of just losing all of the money), the ability to sell the house to recoup equity (not in an investment sense, just in a, this house didnt depreciate like a car would so i can make a significant portion of what i paid back when I do decide to move), among other smaller things.

The critical downsides in my experience are maintenance (no repair guy to fix your water heater), and being locked in, especially during turbulent economic times and personal instability (for example, it’s difficult to ‘up and move’ for a new job.)

That being said, there are also legitimate reasons to rent, though I found as I get older, I wanted more stability, and less having to deal with a landlord dictating me (and being able to enter my house and decide how I behave) even if that means sacrificing some other aspects like better locations.

We only live one time, and I like being able to have a home that is mine and my families, it’s given us a lot of opportunities, like being able to immigrate family members and have a place for them to live with us, something that becomes challenging when a landlord tells you that you can’t have additional tenants, for example.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I want to drill into my balcony to hang planters and lights, upgrade appliances like a more spacious dishwasher, induction range, and heat pump water heater. I’d like to install ir reflecting window films but that’s not allowed here. I also miss having my tv wall mounted and tidy but lag bolts aren’t allowed. We also aren’t allowed to swap light switches for smart switches or add dimmers (maintenance is required to see the apartment for routine stuff like hvac filter changes and they would notice). I also want to be able to pull additional cat6 through the walls but that’s pretty risky and if anything went wrong we could lose our security deposit. Owning would also open up the possibility of doing my own electrical work, which while it was possible to get away with minor additions in my previous rental (get a work box and cover plate and mount it where it looks like it belongs and nobody bats an eye), I would still be prevented from being able to get approvals on stuff that requires inspection and owner sign-offs such as utility diaconnect switches for battery back up. I’m lucky enough that my previous landlord was willing to sign off on fiber internet installation work but at my new place you need approval to even put up a tv antenna on your balcony.

• Haywire@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

(I asked this question to try and figure out a financial solution preventing people from having what they want. The hive mind determined this question to be of negative value to the conversation. I removed the offending and distracting question.)