This is the best reddit like frontend I’ve seen. It’s so good it reminds me of how the older days of reddit were like and lemmy feels just like it on some days.

See source if you want to self host it.

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I actually kinda like the lemmy-ui basic theme. It feels easier to read and less crowded than the reddit-like one.

The power of open source though: everyone gets to use whatever they like best.

• mershed_perderders@sh.itjust.worksM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I prefer the information density of old.reddit. The wasted space of the default lemmy UI irks me.

But I am also old and crotchety. If the spread out / modern UI of Lemmy (and squabbles.io and tildes and new.reddit) weren’t more desirable, they (probably) wouldn’t be coded that way.

• Rick@thesimplecorner.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve wondered the came. It’s less efficient. I just see wasted space. However the explanation may be simply that less content per page means keeping you on the site longer which equals more ad revenue.

• cookie@kerala.partyOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Probably because a lot of people who are attracted to lemmy might have loved the freedom and anonymity that old reddit offered them back then and this interface reminds them of that. I for one have fond memories of how reddit was a decade ago and it’s been a while since I’ve seen a social network like that. Everything these days are so facebook like.

• 098qwelkjzxc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I honestly think I prefer Lemmy’s layout over Reddit’s (new or old), but this is still really cool, wow

• God@sh.itjust.worksM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

was about to send it 2 u just in case u hadn’t seen it lol, thought you’d be interested since you did make the oldy theme

myself i was pretty astounded how much i liked it, because the familiarity allows me to notice details i wouldn’t have otherwise, and it’s also pretty fast so it has a good feel.

sad that it’s developed in Go and has a weird file structure so i can’t collab.

• mintiefresh@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Am using it now and I love it. Would love to have a dark theme implemented at some point!

• cookie@kerala.partyOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I have only seen the instance on mlmym.org, not a lemmy instance, maybe an instance of the UI. Never seen this mentioned anywhere else.

• basskitten@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The backend and the frontend can be separate things in Lemmy. In this case, you go to mlmym.org and the first thing you have to do is input your lemmy server name. Then, boom, you’re browsing the Lemmy instance you entered, but it looks like Old Reddit. It’s a thing of beauty. (I’m using it right now to respond to your comment!)