Hey y’all, my OnePlus 8 pro is donezo, ling story short it got major damage that I just didn’t even see happen but it was on its way out regardless. Now the reason I got a OnePlus is because when I first got them, they were the pinnacle of “moddable phones” any root or rom you could think of it was basically built to be rooted. Now though from what I hear the company has decided to go in a different direction, real shame. So now that I’m back in the market for a new phone ow as wondering if y’all had any suggestions. What’s the most open source droid out there nowadays?

• AlmightySnoo 🐢🇮🇱🇺🇦@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have a Pixel 7a and I love it. Hardware is pretty decent and you get guaranteed security updates until 2028, and since it’s the platform on which Google’s devs first test stock Android you can be pretty confident that you could also install something like LineageOS when official Android support runs out.

• Mononon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m trying out the Pixel 7a after my Galaxy S21 died. My only major complaint is how slippery it is. I have a case coming, but damn this thing is like the hardest phone to hold I’ve ever had. I never feel like I have a grip on it. But for the money, it seems like a super nice phone. Feels very premium, and after turning animation scale to .5x in dev settings, it feels very nice.

• 8275232@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m on a Pixel 6 Pro, and love it. I’ve found the battery life more than enough for my needs (getting a day to a day and a half per charge), and while the finger print sensor isn’t all that great, everything else more than makes up for it.

If everything I’ve heard about the P7 being the more refined P6, that would be my choice if I had to replace my phone today. Hoping that the rumours of google going to flat displays for the 8 Pro are true.

• yokonzo@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

You know I was thinking about getting a pixel because I always end up installing the “pixel experience” roms,. And now that I have a pixel watch it just kind of makes sense, as long as I can completely slap different firmware on there if I so choose, then I’m happy

• yokonzo@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

You know I was thinking about getting a pixel because I always end up installing the “pixel experience” roms,. And now that I have a pixel watch it just kind of makes sense, as long as I can completely slap different firmware on there if I so choose, then I’m happy

• carnha@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agree - I jumped from a OnePlus 5T to a Pixel 5a 2 years ago and have no regrets. It really depends on what you’re modding for, but I found that on Pixel not having (as much) bloatware, getting the latest Android updates, having real Google Camera support instead of chasing the best mod, and using Wavelet instead of Viper4Android took care of most of my rooting needs. Instead, with the unlockable bootloader I’ve been able to explore custom OSes like GrapheneOS which has been really great!

• chrono@apollo.town
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The Xiaomi Poco F5 Pro, its bootloader can be unlocked and it’s fairly powerful. I am sure a good rooting and modding community will come out of it.

However, the unlocking process can take a couple weeks which is not great, also MIUI by default sucks.

The Pixel line is always pretty good for custom roms and stuff

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The last Pixel I bought was the Pixel 2 XL, which showed me Google has devolved into manufacturing very poor hardware. I returned/replaced my phone FOUR times through Google directly due to the speaker always getting a nasty rattle every single time. I’m the end, I just kept the last one, which still rattled like the others.

Currently, I’m on a Galaxy 12 ultra, and the hardware is incredible (this has always been samsung’s strong suit.) This said, there are minor software issues that make me miss the Pixel experience. Nothing like how it used to be, though, and overall I’d heavily recommend these phones to people. Their cameras have always been the best, and that’s coming from a long-term professional photographer.

I know this isn’t open source, but you can root these easily, or install a ROM and get the most freedom possible!

• Monologue@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

with pixel phones you can degoogle using grapheneOS, calyxOS or lineageOS also their bootloader is lockable after you are done with it

ironically best phones to degoogle are google phones

• idle@158436977.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So it’s been quite awhile since I installed a custom os. Does the carrier still matter? I feel like it did 10 years ago. I’m on a not very common carrier.

• Monologue@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

i am not in the US so take what i have to say with a grain of salt but if your phone is unlocked i don’t see any problem

• Taztrophe@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

When I retired my OnePlus 7T, I grabbed a Pixel (6) so I could run GrapheneOS. Takes some getting used to but the improved security and reduced reliance on all the Google apps has been mostly good.

• jacktherippah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can’t beat the Pixel in that regard. Google doesn’t give two hoots what you do with your phone once you buy it. You can flash custom ROMs, unlock AND relock bootloader,… you name it. Pixels are really fantastic for that reason.

• Dohnakun@lemmy.fmhy.mlB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Not the OnePlus 9. Touch sensitivity is crap. Fingerprint sensor is crap. I got it for community support, but am disappointed in the hardware.

• darkduck77@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you can wait till the 12th, the new Nothing Phone 2 looks nice, if you want something small and with a headphone jack I suggest the ZenFone 10. You can also find the s23 for cheap

• gaydarless@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I went from a OP7Pro to a Pixel 7a and I’m loving it. (I was previously into the Nexus line before it was discontinued, so I suppose it was a natural switch… :))

The battery life isn’t super impressive, but the camera is pretty good and quite snappy comparatively. I’ve found performance to be more than adequate. Not confident it’ll last as long as my OP did (was still going strong at nearly 4 years old) but for the price point and feature set, it’s a solid choice. No regrets here!

ETA: The size was a big selling point for me. I wanted something easier to hold in one hand.

• Ready! Player 31@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m in the same boat, looking to upgrade from my Oneplus 8 Pro and not interested in the new oneplus phones because there’s no wireless charging. Bizarre.

Currently looking like the Pixel 7 Pro is my best bet I think.