• Treczoks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

If only public transport was actually a usable replacement for using a car. Hint: It isn’t.

In the next town, the mayoress claims to like bikes, and “reforms” the city. So far all she managed were some cheap fixes like painting bike paths on roads and making some key connections useless for non-bike traffic. Which led to - more car-traffic, as now many cars have to drive nearly once around the city to reach their destination. What it didn’t lead to - a significant move to use of bikes and public transport, as the bike paths are not really safe and mostly patchwork, anyway, and public transport is too expensive and basically useless to anyone from outside the city.

I’m not against a bike-friendly city. But you can have good implementations and seriously bad ones.

And asking people to “stop driving cars” is a very narrow-minded and stupid idea from the start. There are a lot of reasons to drive a car. I mean, do you expect that they stock the supermarkets with cargo bikes? Do you want to force old people who cannot use the tram as it has high and steep stairs for entries to, what, walk into the city? Do you think the plumber or electrician will come to fix your flat with all the tools on a bike?

This “stop driving cars” is an idea cooked up by young and able people who live in the city and usually don’t leave it. Who maybe use a bike to ride to the next shop two roads over, or to university. And who actually can go on even longer rides occasionally, if they must. They have nothing better to do. Those who bear not much responsibility and drive, well, like bikers in a city, feeling overconfident and ignorant of the risk of dangerous driving behavior.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The pedestrian-friendly cities I know often allow vans and trucks to resupply stores on the walking streets, even if normal traffic is disallowed. They’re also encouraged to deliver in the morning.

Trying to point the issue to disabilities is often extremely counter-intuitive; it’s often hard for disabled people to use a car for everything (picture wheelchair transfers every time), as well as walking across huge parking lots or inside megastores. It’s often far better if they can just make it to a small store directly without excessive worry about high-traffic crosswalks. Public transit is often wheelchair accessible by default.

The mindset of completely banning cars is not one I’ve joined up with; as you say, contractors or the slim minority of workers transporting heavy goods should likely still be using cars. But that experience of driving is often terrible when every single person (on their own with no heavy cargo) is using a car for every trip.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

But that experience of driving is often terrible when every single person (on their own with no heavy cargo) is using a car for every trip.

OK, but what would be the alternative? Especially for those living outside and entering the city either for work of for shopping?

When I was young, I went basically everywhere by bike, as I neither has a car, nor could I afford public transport (which would have cost me about 60% of available money). So I went to work and back on my bike (15km each way), and then to university and back in the evening (another 20km each way). Well, that was when I was young. Nowadays, this is no longer an option.

I don’t expect people to commute 20+km a day by bike. A safe bike garage at a P+R place would be nice and reduce at least part of the way by bike, but it does not exist. And public transport, well, at this P+R, there are good connections into the cities, but they have a low frequency and take quite some time, apart from costing a shitload of money for what they offer.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Putting aside that I’ve seen some relatively old people continue to stay healthy on bikes (often as leisure, not utility), generally the hope would be that public transit would cover the needs for longer distances. As you said, many current forms are pretty bad, but that’s because our money is spent (that is KEY - we SPEND the money either way!!) on road maintenance and new parking garages, and of course individually on car maintenance.

We also have these long distances to cover to stores in part because of the big wide roads and parking lots that elongate our trips. As it turns out, civic centers don’t have to be so spread out.

I’d also expect most people not to need to go into the city for all forms of shopping. If you just need groceries for the week, but your town has nothing to offer in walking distance, it almost sounds like there’s a business begging to be built there, even if it’s a two-room local affair.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

When I go to the city for shopping or attending a meeting, it is maybe once per month. I’m not stupid enough to do everyday shopping in the city when I have five supermarkets within 10 minutes walking distance. No, when I go to the city, it is usually to visit a few selected highly specialized shops that can only survive in an urban center with an appropriate environment. And I go there to see, touch, feel the goods I purchase in contrast to those who buy online and return every other piece because it either does not fit or whatever. Saves me a lot time, and protects the environment, as less returns are needlessly destroyed.

With our next city, well… spending money on road maintenance basically does not happen. They only repair what would otherwise fall apart, and this only adds to the chaos in this city. And as I said, money to properly reconfigure the city to make it bike friendly is simply not there.

If you just need groceries for the week, but your town has nothing to offer in walking distance, it almost sounds like there’s a business begging to be built there, even if it’s a two-room local affair.

While this sounds a good idea at first, literally tens of thousands of shops of this kind have died in my country in the last years, because there is simply no money to be made. There are a few shops that are run by local groups of volunteers because such a shop would not make enough money to survive otherwise.

• psud@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

My bicycle commute is 22km each way, and after riding for a few weeks, I was up for riding that plus a loop around the local lake (with a friend), then back home all on a Saturday, after doing that commute every day of the week before

Now e-bikes exist that’s even achievable by quite unfit people

• countflacula@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

There’s no reason to gender the word Mayor, a Mayor is a Mayor despite whatever bits they have.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

There you are wrong. The official titel of a female mayor is “mayoress”, so it is “Mr. Mayor” and “Madam Mayoress”. Well, at least in the UK.

Source: I had to deal with them last week.

• RaoulDook@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

All correct, and points made that have virtually no rebuttal, so they just downvote you out of spite. Here’s my upvote.

• usernamesAreTricky@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Their comment is missing the point. It essentially boils down to “the current infrastructure is bad” which is entirely what people advocating for less car centric design have been saying for a long time, but instead of using that as a reason to advocate for better they’re using it as a reason not to do anything

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

No. The reason why they don’t do anything is simply: Doing it right costs money. That cities either don’t have, or don’t want to invest. Turning a car-centric city into a bike and public transport friendly one is very expensive.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

That’s changing the subject again. I was saying the commentor was effectively advocating for doing nothing because current infrastructure is poor.

It’s worth noting that car centric infrastructure is extremely expensive as well and requires constant upkeep. Bike infrastructure can often be made incrementally by simplying just requiring new/updated road to have bike lanes for instance

That is part of how the Netherlands got really good bike infrastructure and how a number of cities are getting better at it

EDIT: I should also mention that the car centric deisgn of many suburbs in particular is a large contributer to why they don’t have much money to begin with. The upkeep costs start to pile up and make the regions net negative for the local government’s income

The more a place is car centric, the higher these costs for upkeep will be (more traffic causing more damage in more places)

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

It’s worth noting that car centric infrastructure is extremely expensive as well and requires constant upkeep. Bike infrastructure can often be made incrementally by simplying just requiring new/updated road to have bike lanes for instance

Well, try that in a city environment. It might work with some of the main roads, but we are not in Cities:Skylines here where houses move or are automatically replaced when you install a wider road. I may have to add that here is not the US where many roads are so wide that you need a car to get to the other side ;-)

More than 80% (give or take) of the roads in cities here are so narrow that two (small) car lanes plus the pedestrian sidewalks are basically “it”. The road in front of my house is, IIRC, between 5.4 and 5.8m wide - without having a sidewalk. Try adding a bike path here. And if you turn basically each and every side road into one-way roads in order to add bike paths might lead to serious acceptance problems.

The more a place is car centric, the higher these costs for upkeep will be (more traffic causing more damage in more places)

Well, while I won’t contradict your notion that more traffic causes more damage, I’d ask you to keep in mind that one truck does as much damage to a road as 40000 cars (yes, it is that much, the damage factor is x4, with x being the relative mass, and the calculation base being a normal European car, not a six ton American pickup). So, as long as you want to have your supermarket stocked and your amazon order delivered, the damage created by private cars is simply irrelevant.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                9 months ago

For the first part, yes that will vary place to place. That’s why I said “often”, but it’s a viable method in quite a large number of locations. Especially in those which are currently some of the worst places for walkabilty/biking/public transit at the moment. Places with narrow streets are generally speaking more walkable to begin with. There are still other ways to make improvements anyhow

For the second, I am also talking about the quantity of roads (the more places part). More car centric places are going to have more roads to maintain in general.

But it’s still worth mentioning that car centric design can still can lead to trucks being used in places where there are viable transportation methods like trains (this applies more so for longer distances than just delivery to houses but a number of cities do have highways that run through them).

• Gabu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Rather, his “arguments” are so stupid, it’s difficult to chose how to completely destroy them.

• Gabu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Are you braindead or just a rightwinger? It’s difficult to tell, sometimes.

Have you ever heard about other countries existing? Not everywhere is a car-centric shithole.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I don’t live in that car-centric shithole. So much for assumptions.

And I take calling me “rightwinger” as a serious insult.

There are cities in my country that managed to strike a good balance between cars and bikes. E.g. with continuous bike paths and stuff like that. But most cities here have two problems: They simply jump short with bike paths and leave safe bike access as a crazy patchwork on the city map, making it more or less useless. And they keep public transport back because it actually costs money.

I’ve nothing against bikes. Occasionally I rant against stupid and irresponsible bikers, of which there are too many, and that give normal bikers a bad name. I would love to see bike-friendly cities, but I also see cities stumbling around like a beheaded chicken when it comes to implementation.

So, as long as public transport is no usable alternative, a city has to deal with cars as a means of people coming into a city as workers and customers. The alternative would be a city that completely relies on local people. Might be environment friendly, but simply not realistic. They just don’t have the purchase power to keep a cities businesses alive.