• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I love how people just come up with this shit with their knowledge of their local area. Any train here requires driving to, and does not come and go frequently, and takes longer. Our infra is terrible.

On the flip side, some places have awesome infra and I wish I had that. I’d prefer to pedal bike if I could. But where I’m at you’re very likely to be killed without bike lanes or sidewalks, and it would take hours to get anywhere important - IE work.

• doktorseven@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Also mobility issues factor in. There is no better way for such people to get around. This anti-car movement is ableist.

• Iron Lynx@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

How many cars have you seen with step-free access?

And besides, surely there exist no disabilities that inhibit people’s ability to operate a vehicle like a car, right?

• Nobsi@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Still no. You can stop claiming that now, you’ve been proven different many times already in all the other threads.

• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

This person has a point though. Typically most people can’t even afford to live where I live, and most of the jobs are 50Km away. The nearest bus stop is an hour and a half walk. Biking is dangerous since there are ditches and no sidewalks on either side and people typically drive 90Km/hr.

And when you get to the bus loop, buses come every hour. Takes 3 transfers before you get to a train. Then you take a train to a bus. Then more walking.

It’s 2.5 hours each way if you bike. 3.5 hours each way if you walk to the bus stop.

If it snows, it’s a crapshoot. Sometimes the trains cease to function. Longest one way commute I’ve had on transit was 7 hours.

I think some people just need to realize not everywhere is like Amsterdam and has a wicked bike lane and transit setup.