• Myro@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just for me to understand this as I’m pretty new. Each instance has their own “timeline” aka homepage or feed with all content (people you follow, tags etc.), and you either have to access each instance separately or use something like the app you mentioned?

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Each instance has a “local” feed of posts from that instance. Same as how local works on Lemmy.

You also have your “home” feed (like our Subscribed, it’s for posts from people you follow) and a “federated” feed (like our All, everything your instance knows about).

I mostly use Mastodon on desktop and I can pin columns with my fave hashtags in as their own separate feed, which is nice.

• Myro@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks, that helps!! The separate timeliness ads actuly pretty awesome. Basically a curated list of topics/people instead of everything being thrown at you like Twitter.

• Franconian_Nomad@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Don’t forget, you can follow hashtags too! So if you want to see toots (posts) regarding a topic that interests you, just follow a hashtag like #ukrainewar, or #linux for example. That’s also a good way to to find people to follow.

• Myro@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yes! I saw that, that’s great. Missed it initially, as it is not possible viel the official mobile app. And when using Tusky I accidentally “muted” my tags, so they were shown as filtered in the homepage. So many possibilities!

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I honestly have no idea how Twitter works so will just have to take your word for it lol. Loving Mastodon though, I’ve had two accounts since November, both on small niche instances and both have nice active feeds and as much conversation as I want :)

• Saneless@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Good to hear fedilab is still one of the better ones. Haven’t used any much lately but I’ll just stick with it

The official one lacks lists, local, world… how is anyone supposed to find people to follow?

• Wrincewind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I believe that much like Lemmy, there’s an “all” button that gives you everything from everywhere.