• RyeBread@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I really wish more online personalities would move to Mastodon, right now it’s hard to justify when most of what I use Twitter for is to follow different online creators and such. And just none of them are moving over yet. It looks like Bluesky is where a lot of them are looking. It’s also decentralized, but honestly I’m not a big fan of jumping on another Jack Dorsey project. I don’t like ActivityPub as a tech myself and would be more interested in a holepunch kind of approach myself, but honestly it’s the most mature decentralized tech there is right now and it seems like the world is moving that way. Just wish the world would move quicker!

• shinobizilla@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s also decentralized, but honestly I’m not a big fan of jumping on another Jack Dorsey project

Jack Dorsey is the reason why some of these perennially online personalities moved to Bluesky. The AT protocol maybe decentralized but there’s no unofficial instances of it yet (afaik).

• stoiclime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m on both, and both vibes are pretty great. I prefer Mastodon simply because the app is superbly made, tiny file size, no trackers etc. Bluesky is a buggy mess right now. Also, 3rd party apps on Mastodon are amazing.

• shinobizilla@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I wouldn’t consider another VC money backed app/service anymore no matter how good the tech might be. I hope we all remember the hard lessons from the fiascos from the recent months.

• consumer451@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

This brings up my main questions with mastodon and lemmy… who is going to pay the server costs at scale?

It would be nice if those mechanisms began sooner than later.

• thayer@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

It will need to be by donation and/or sponsorship, systems for which are currently in place for most of the larger instances.

My hope is to see academia, web hosts, and non-profits involved at some point too. I think the software is just too immature at this early stage to expect much in this regard. Once more advanced safeguards are in place (content filters, admin tools, etc.), it may become more viable from a liability perspective.

• randomwither@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Word. Mastodon is fabulous. There’s not very many people, but I haven’t encountered many assholes. And does it ever run smooth!

• stoiclime@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s the best made app imo, with the best performance and design. If I had to rank them, I would rank Mastodon > Twitter > Threads > Bluesky.

• Baron Von J@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I see plenty of people on BlueSky without .bluesky.social in their @. Doesn’t mean they’re on another instance?

• MiscreantMouse@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Also, remember there are a bunch of nice 3rd party options for Android, like: Tusky (personal favorite), Fedilab, Megalodon, & Tooot

• BlackCoffee@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been trying Tusky and Fedilab. They are better experiences for sure.

Just tried the new official app and it is much better than what it was before but the 3rd party offerings are still ahead as of now.

Just my 2 cents.

• GlennMagusHarvey@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve heard that the official app was initially thrown together at some point around the time Mastodon first blew up due to Twitter…uh, blowing up, in a different sense. Basically, “it would really help onboarding if people had an obvious choice of official app to use”. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. Never verified this myself.

Tusky is definitely decent though.

• zaphod@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

And don’t sleep on Phanpy, despite being a PWA it really is excellent.

• BadEgg@forum.basedcount.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks for Phanpy. I like Pinafore and Fedilab, Tooot was nice - but I think I will stick with Phanpy. It is such a pretty webapp.

• Archibald@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I tried to use mastodon but it never stuck for me. Mostly because of the lack of communities that I’m part of on twitter. Ever since musk’s takeover, I’ve been using twitter less and less.

• MrNemobody@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Same here. I love how fluid Mastodon’s app is, especially compared to Lemmy’s. But I scroll for a bit and there’s nothing that interests me on my timeline.

• devfuuu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

No one is going to feed you content. It’s a different way to think and consume media. You just gotta start following people or hashtags and see which content and people are posting things that interest you. Go the the local feed of the instance of the world feed and watch things unfold.

But you gotta bootstrap it. There’s a lot of interesting people and content in it.

There’s a few sites that help with discovery by listing relevant people and topics.

There’s hashtags important to follow at the start, for example #fediverseMigration where lots of posts trying to help new people and guiding them appear.

I know it may hurt a little at the beginning, but it’s so worth it and rewarding. So, don’t quit and give it a little bit to grow on you. It’s a new experience so not everything will feel similar to what one knows previously.

And, the amazing thing that on mastodon one being able to directly interact and comment on lemmy posts is just mind-blowing.

So. Good luck. And Thanks for all the fish.

• Senil888@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Seriously, follow hashtags! If friends start to join boost their early posts so other people can find them too. You take the place of the algorithm on Mastodon, so you’re ultimately responsible for curating your experience.

Though I will say, don’t use the offical app. It lacks a federated timeline still, which is weird. If you like that UI though, Moshidon is a fork that adds some customization and the federated timeline, which is a neat way to see what’s goin on.

• ryan213@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Hit “Explore” and follow hash tags to grow your list of accounts to follow. It really helps a lot! Mine used to be like 2 minutes of scrolling and I’m done for the day. Now it’s…um…I should get back to work.

• notenoughbutter@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

there is still some work needed to be done on sync for lemmy meanwhile, you can try connect or liftoff for Lemmy

• AdmiralShat@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I mean, isn’t that a good thing? You shouldn’t be doom scrolling anyways

Also, that’s a temporary measure. As more people migrate, there will be more content.

• dditty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Same. It feels like Mastodon isn’t anywhere close to approaching critical mass of users

• dditty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Same. It feels like Mastodon isn’t anywhere close to approaching critical mass of users necessary for it to take off.

• T156@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

One of Mastodon’s upsides, the lack of an algorithm also hurts it, I find.

It’s surprisingly difficult to find new and interesting users to follow, since they don’t suggest anything, but at the same time, the only way to find users is seemingly to browse your local instance’s users, which won’t cover interesting things from other instances (unless they’re specifically boosted).

• Baron Von J@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Best thing for discovery in Mastodon is to follow hashtags. This is algorithm-like in that you will see posts from people you don’t follow, on the topics you have an interest in.

• DrQuint@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Discoverability was largely the reason why I got in fights with Mastodon users over the platform being in a bad place when Twitter had its first wave of musk awfulness.

I find that the system is now much improved, but man, I can’t stress out just how bad an impression I was given that everyone seemed to think searching posts by tags was a bad thing, and that tags in general were, in fact, objectively broken at the time. Like, people go on social media with purposes in mind.

It’s fixed now. Tag activity is shown correctly. Tag history also gets shown correctly. You can also follow tags. That’s all I wanted, and acknowledgement of it, not a philosophy discourse.

• Arfman@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I find it kinda helps after using a tool to import my follows from Twitter to here

• lolreconlol@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Maybe I should give Mastodon another try… I couldn’t really find anyone to follow.

• resin85@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

To get an immediate curated feed, I recommend following @lisamelton@mastodon.social. She boosts all sorts of interesting stuff from others. It’s a great way to find other accounts you might want to follow.

• Mkengine@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I am here since the blackout using Jerboa, but I get an error when I click on it, doesn’t it work in the App? I tried the instance website and put it in the search bar, but it doesn’t work either and unfortunately I don’t find any tutorials how to follow mastodon users from lemmy, do you know how? Another thing I don’t quite understand: with my Lemmy account I can use other Fediverse services like mastodon. And my understanding is that kbin is not the same as lemmy, but another service such as mastodon? So why does kbin come up in my all feed but nothing from other Fediverse services?

• nergal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That was my struggle too… I open it every once in a while, but it’s the same people posting similar things.

• InfiniWheel@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lemmy is also pretry similar to old.reddit. No recommendation or anything so its an easy migration.

I have only used Twitter and Mastodon sporadically, but its definitely more of a pain to discover communities since its more user oriented

• Marxine@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Longer form content is always more fun for me. Structured topics and conversations are way better to exchange ideas and shitposts.

• fookinrat@lemmy.eco.br
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m using Tusky for now. It has more customization options than the official app. One thing I don’t like about the official app is that everything looks gigantic.

• Angius@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I mean, same can be said for Lemmy, how most people are on world/ml/beehaw. Doesn’t have to be the case, though. I have two accounts on Mastodon, one on Baraag the other on Mas.to, alternative instances exist

• sv1sjp@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Personally, I am non cryptodon.lol but yes you are right. It also happens with matrix as most of the people are in matrix.org instance.

• ryan213@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not there yet - but there are bot accounts that feed you their tweets. LOL Look up the accounts you have on Twitter for news and you’ll most likely find a bot account for them on Mastodon. That’s how I’m keeping up to date.

• dditty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I made one at the same time I joined Lemmy but Mastodon seems like a ghost town

• ruckblack@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah, I hate the explore page on Mastodon. At least on my instance I guess. Nothing interesting there, just the same few accounts posting political takes. Or shitting on reddit/Twitter. Gets very old very quick. It’s usable when you follow hashtags but it’s really not there yet.

• DrQuint@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Not just worse, it’s also extremely dependent on instance choice when you first try to build your circle of follows. Having to follow people to find people to follow to find further people to follow makes that first step the most important, and Mastodon’s vision of an “Everything” feed is a disorganized mess. Intentionally, for anti-viral reasons.

The reason that’s an actual huge issue is that instance choice is also, easily, the highest barrier of entry to a new user. People are CONFUSED by it. Which means that if someone who would be in earnest willing to try Mastodon and give it time, may still end up coming out with a bad impression if they made a mistake with the prior step and couldn’t figure the right second and third step to overcome the hurdle.

Meanwhile, here on lemmy, our choice of instance is largely irrelevant. The only change we get on our “All” feeds is just a couple top posts, so we may not have the same starting position, but we do have something in the same ballpark.

This whole conversation is and was tiresome to have, honestly. I did see people try to solve it, but even there they’d run their onboarding environments built by mastodon users counter to what newcomers may want. For example, I saw this web wizard that would quiz me on my region and languange and also slur-censoring preferences… when all of that stuff is completely irrelevant to me - I look up entertainment communities by topics FIRST, not social philosophy, and specially not by regional peers, because fuck my regional peers.

Anyways, point was… Everyone I know who actually stuck to Mastodon… Have mastodon.social accounts. Exclusively. But here, people are already spread between .ml, sh.itjust.works and .world.

• Meanwhile, here on lemmy, our choice of instance is largely irrelevant.

Only if you’re on an instance that already has users subbing to a ton of communities. I’m not sure how this is much different than the federated timeline on Mastodon. If I joined a small lemmy instance it would be a similar experience. I’d need to reach out to find external communities that interest me.

Anyways, point was… Everyone I know who actually stuck to Mastodon… Have mastodon.social accounts.

I’ve been pretty happy on noc.social. I’ll concede that my local timeline has a skew to it due to the server I’m on but the federated timeline is a bonkers firehose from all over the place.

Regardless, my point whenever this conversation comes up is to say that yes, I agree there’s a learning curve for new users going from a monolithic service to a federated one. But I don’t think the solution is to emulate a monolithic service (i.e. everyone on mastodon.social). I think the solution is to improve the on-boarding process and provide resources so that those new users are eased into the change and can learn how to find the content they want.

• DrQuint@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Not just worse, it’s also extremely dependent on instance choice when you first try to build your circle of follows. Having to follow people to find people to follow to find further people to follow makes that first step the most important, and Mastodon’s vision of an “Everything” feed is a disorganized mess. Intentionally, for anti-viral reasons.

The reason that’s an actual huge issue is that instance choice is also, easily, the highest barrier of entry to a new user. People are CONFUSED by it. Which means that if someone who would be in earnest willing to try Mastodon and give it time, may still end up coming out with a bad impression if they made a mistake with the prior step and couldn’t figure the right second and third step to overcome the hurdle.

Meanwhile, here on lemmy, our choice of instance is largely irrelevant. The only change we get on our “All” feeds is just a couple top posts, so we may not have the same starting position, but we do have something in the same ballpark.

This whole conversation is and was tiresome to have, honestly. I did see people try to solve it, but even there they’d run their onboarding environments built by mastodon users counter to what newcomers may want. For example, I saw this web wizard that would quiz me on my region and languange and also slur-censoring preferences… when all of that stuff is completely irrelevant to me - I look up entertainment communities by topics FIRST, not social philosophy, and specially not by regional peers, because fuck my regional peers.

Anyways, point was… Everyone I know who actually stuck to Mastodon… Have mastodon.social accounts. Exclusively. But here, people are already spread between .ml, sh.itjust.works and .world.

• dr_dour@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

You probably found a bunch of people with niche (if any) interests and/or friends from Twitter or other social media who are active enough for your feed to be populated. A lot of people use twitter to follow news, celebrities, journalists and shitposting accounts with large following as there’s lots of discussions under tweets with massive reach. Most people don’t interact themselves at all but just scroll. Mastodon doesn’t have these big accounts as of now so there’s not much activity for the majority of regular twitter users.

• Suz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Care to share some tips for someone that’s new to Mastodon? I’ve made an account but I’ve got nobody to follow on there and trying to discover new people seems fruitless because of how different the search on Mastodon is.

• Reclipse@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It seems like Mastodon and Twitter operates on different principles or I am missing something.

• Zoidsberg@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I search tags, and if someone posts something interesting under a tag I like, I’ll check their page out.

• curioushom@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Like the other user said following tags is a great way to engage with things you choose. Along the way, you’ll find people that you find interesting and then you can follow them directly. It’s much less about seeking people and more letting them come to you.

• GlennMagusHarvey@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

One way is to just follow hashtags and see whoposts to them. Since hashtags are basically the de facto way to find relevant content on Mastodon, not just a marketing tool like on Twitter. And then once you see who posts interesting stuff, you can then add them to your follows.

There’s also some sites that list users by topics of interesting such as http://fedi.directory and https://communitywiki.org/trunk .

Another way is to check out instances that talk about things you’re interested in. There are several websites that list them but here is a shorter list: https://fedi.garden Check out their feeds and see who posts things you’re interested in.

Furthermore, you can follow a.gup.pe accounts, called “groups”, which work similarly to hashtags. Each a.gup.pe account is basically a repeater that boosts (i.e. “retweets”) every post that pings it, so that anyone following it gets that post. For example, I follow @climate@a.gup.pe, and every time someone pings that (it’s like including a hashtag), it’ll boost that post and I’ll see it too.

• Carlos de Grails@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

If you’re on their mobile app, press and hold the home button for a second or so, and a list of recommended accounts will show up.

• Knightfall@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I just tried this on Mastodon’s official app (Android) and that feature doesn’t work for me.

• mokoshark69@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Mastodon seems to become yet another rage cage like twitter, first thing I saw when I opened it yesterday was people bitching about politics, that’s a BIG nope for me

• Sw00$h@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Thats a weird statement as you have a lot of options to change your feed and filter stuff out you don’t like.

• lamentforicarus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Like all social media, you have to curate it. I follow hashtags for cats, books, writing, fandoms, etc. The rage is minimum then because my homepage doesn’t have politics or news. I actually do follow a couple of news sources, but their stuff is surrounded by an ocean of fun things so it’s not nearly as bad.

• jayandp@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You must’ve joined the wrong server then, because mine isn’t like that. And you can just filter out and follow the things you want as well. There’s no algorithms to automatically feed you stuff.

• mokoshark69@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I didn’t even sign up, I just wanted to see what it was all about, whining about politics and general madness, just like twitter, not for me, so I didn’t end up signing

• Angius@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Well, you had to open some Mastodon server in your browser. And there will be differences between them, just like what’s on the front page of lemmy.world is different from the frontpage of lemmy.ml

• ruckblack@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It is extremely political, I’ve had a hard time filtering it all out. Every account posting memes tends to feel like they have a huge political chip on their shoulder. Kinda exhausting. I’ve had trouble finding the content that I used Twitter for.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t think I’ll ever make a Mastodon account, but I do like the rss feature so had been relying on that to get updates on certain projects. Now just need some Twitter accounts that haven’t moved over to do the same. Some have websites, but don’t even update it and relied solely on twitter to push update.

Twitter is mainly for self promotion than for users, so this seems pretty disruptive for them than it is for people like me.

• jsnfwlr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve found that my lemmy.world account can be followed by my mastodon.social account. I wonder if it is possible to log in to a mastodon client with it?

• Markaos@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

No. Lemmy and Mastodon federate using the ActivityPub protocol, but that’s not good enough for making mobile apps or other clients. They each have their own API for their apps and an app made for one federated platform won’t be able to log into another platform’s server/instance.

All your interaction with the Fediverse is done through your instance.