I can’t believe The Matrix is 24 years old now…

• wildbus8979@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I bought myself a surplus pay phone to make sure I could always exit the Matrix. They aren’t that expensive these days! Buy they are a bit of a PITA to get working.

• mkwt@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

This is especially bad because there are now many countries that ended up never really building out a POTS landline network.

At some point the United States is going to decide to just stop maintaining theirs.

• joolez
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yup, clearly made before Resurrections.

• scottywh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I owned a computer store for a few years… I’d also owned several vending machines for several years before that including one that I operated in the aforementioned computer store.

It seemed like a great idea to me that I should buy a payphone and hook it up in or just outside of the computer store … I never actually did it though …

It was also a terrible fucking idea… I really thought it could work though.

• Neato@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The Matrix was designed around a specific period of time. I imagine the machines just deleted most references to new technology being invented and kept it at turn of the millennium.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

“Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.”

“Suffering and misery? So why not design it around the 2010-2020s?”

“That was also tried, but was similarly rejected for having too much suffering and misery. Nobody believed it was real.”