• Ech@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m not saying that’s unreasonable either, tbf. I don’t live in walking distance to a grocery store, though, and neither do most people I suspect, so bigger shopping trips just make sense. It would definitely be nicer to have a store nearby, though!

• Maoo [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

100%!

Fun fact: suburbs and related approaches to the design of land use are structured around increasing the distance between homes and services. The idea is to isolate the suburbanites (at the time, white people) from everyone else so that their material conditions could become disconnected and racism catered to. Red lining and all that.

So a big part of the reason things are so far away is so that capitalism could continue using racist policies to get what it wanted. And now we have to buy 2-3 weeks of food at a time even if we don’t live in suburbs, as our infrastructure is built around the expectations of the surrounding suburbs.

Anyways it’s not your fault you’ve gotta stock up so I don’t blame ya! We’ve all gotta deal with structures in our society that we had no control over.