There are many lemmy instances in the world, but currently most people are using lemmy.world. This is why everything has gotten so slow.

You don’t have to delete your lemmy.world account, but check out https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/map it’s a geo-based map of lemmy instances – explore stuff nearest you, pick one, sign up, search , subscribe and begin interacting with your favorite communities. It’s easy, free and it will be faster. Try it!

• Mewtwo@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Damn, I wish I found this an hour ago! I just finished transferring over to blahaj.zone. I’ll definitely use this in the future!

• 🇺🇦 Max UL@lemmy.pro
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Are there more detailed instructions somewhere? I learned python for like a week and not sure what to do exactly

• twistedtxb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s exactly what preventing me from switching to a more obscure instance. I don’t want to redo my subs all over again

• BlackCat@lemmy.myserv.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Kind of a big drawback and not the original impression I got when told all instances are federated so its the same everywhere and doesnt matter….

Switching might benefit lemmy.world but it was inconvenient and didnt benefit me much. The content is the same after resubbing but was a hassle. Unclear if I gained much personally doing it.

• Red Wizard 🪄@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

The benefit for you is that you will be in a low traffic instance. All the content you load will be loaded from that instance, not lemmy.world. So for you the content loads faster.

Like, I’m replying to you from lemmygrad.ml, and I’m never actually connecting to lemmy.world, and no content is loaded in real time from Lemmy.world. this comment will be synced back to lemmy.world and then synced out to everyone else that’s subscribed.

But if 90% of people are on Lemmy.world then naturally it’s going to run like ass.