• alvvayson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

By only condemning human rights violations by Hamas and tacitly approving bigger war crimes by Israel, our American and European leaders are choosing sides in a very obvious and hypocritical manner.

We are unnecessarily antagonizing a billion Muslims and making ourselves a target for terrorism by blindly supporting an unjust apartheid state.

I don’t want to on the side of Hamas, but I also don’t want to be on the side of Israel.

Why drag us into this?

• This is fine🔥🐶☕🔥@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

USA and rest of the Western world has enabled Israel for the last 70 years while the Palestinians have been systematically disenfranchised and radicalized. No one put in geniune effort to de-escalate this situation and now shit has hit the fan.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Hamas: murders a thousand I Innocent people, rapes a bunch of women (and by that I include girls), and murders a bunch of babies

Leftists: Well that’s what they get for existing where they were existing.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

If you’re supporting Hamas you are evil. I don’t have any interest in any nuance in this situation. They are terrorists that use human shields. There’s nothing you can say that makes that ok, full stop. You are one of the evil people if you agree with Hamas.

• Ultraviolet@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

The IDF is dropping white phosphorus on children’s hospitals, a blatant display of cruelty that makes no pretense of being necessary to fight Hamas. As evil as Hamas is, and I’m not downplaying that at all, the Israeli government is worse.

• ParsnipWitch@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Most western countries feel and are guilty because they repeatedly killed and exiled Jews and promised them land as retribution that didn’t belong to them in the first place.

• nonailsleft@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

About 1/3 of the people living in Palestine were jewish at the time of the partitition. Are you saying the entirety of land should have been given to the muslims?

• ParsnipWitch@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

No. I think there is no fair solution as long as both groups demand it all should belong to them. They will both feel wronged. I am also pretty sure that pressure on the Jewish population would have increased there when Israel would not have been formed.

• nonailsleft@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Ok, but then where does this lead us? Are the jews more wrong than the muslims in trying to kill the other one? Is anyone supporting either side more wrong than the other? Us on the sidelines can condemn the cruelty but at the core there’s no clear cut right and wrong like when Native Americans were wiped out by colonists…

In a better world maybe the UN would have enforced the partitition and after several generations shit would have cooled down. But that’s something that was impossible in '48

• ParsnipWitch@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

I hope you aren’t really asking me that lol. I have no idea. Apart from suggesting they should all just love each other and shake hands I don’t know what else could work.

But historically I think there is no example where a division of a country has worked out. Korea, Vietnam, Germany,… It was always a disaster.

And how would you even fairly split Jerusalem, for example?

• nonailsleft@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Chechoslowakia?

Jerusalem was not to be split in the UN plan, but given a special status

• Holyhandgrenade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

A refreshing take for sure, and even though Bernie is Jewish he sees this cruel regime for what it really is. There are no excuses for harming innocent civilians, ever!

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

A lot of jewish actually call this out as a genocide, its just the world leader playing their politics while the people are getting murdered on the ground.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Yes I’m aware. I also know many Israeli citizens condemn the actions of their government. I just think that as an American Jewish politician, Bernie has an incentive not to criticize the Israeli government but he still does, and that takes some courage.

• MataVatnik@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Problem is, at least where I live, the majority of the Jewish community fervently supports Israel.

• S_204@lemmy.world
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

There’s nuance required there… because there’s a wide gulf between fervently supporting the right of Israel to exist and supporting the actions of their government.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Moreover, the idea that Israel somehow represents Jewish people as a whole is simply Israeli propaganda that promotes Israel’s interests at the expense of non-Israeli Jews.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I think it’s more pointing out how many politicians (and people in general), especially Republicans, who won’t criticize them, and even say criticizing them is anti-semitic. Him being Jewish means he has more cultural connection to them than they do, yet he still points it out. He also can’t reliably be called anti-semitic because he is a semite (at least the modern meaning of the word. I’m not sure if he speaks Hebrew or other Semitic languages).

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

This is exactly what I meant. I have no prejudice against Jewish people whatsoever, I’m simply admiring the balls it takes to be an American Jewish politician and taking a stance against the Israeli government. He’s risking losing a part of his supporters but he still stands for what’s right.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

It’s different because it’s Israel and Israel has a stranglehold over US politics.

• S_204@lemmy.world
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

There’s no way Bernie doesn’t speak Yiddish, I’d wager he spoke Hebrew at one point in his life.