• Gap@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

The left has a tiktok with multiple videos playing at the same time in order to increase the average watch time of every viewer so it goes further in the algorithm.

The right has the news combined with other news things at the same time (in order to increase watch time as well I assume)

OP makes the revelation that both are doing the same. Namely adding more content in small windows in order to increase watchtime.

This is funny because it’s generally considered low quality (as I consider it low quality and therefore everyone does) and the news doing the same means that said news is also low quality and probably should be avoided.

• Khanzarate@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Ah, I avoid tiktok for reasons like this, I thought OP edited it together for reasons I was oblivious to. Thank you.

• Fades@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t watch the “news” but it is absolutely not the same. All that bullshit is different varying levels of relevant information so you don’t have to sit and wait for commercials and other news segments. It is information at a quick glance whereas TikTok is all about keeping you engaged.

Yeah they both show more than one topic at a time but that’s where the similarities end. But sure, it’s the sAmE