• TWeaK@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Fun fact, most people in the world are trichromats, they have 3 types of colour sensors in their eyes. One type of colourblindness that only affects men is where they only have 2 types of sensor and are dichromats - the gene is only found in the X chromosome, and it’s impossible for women with two X chromosomes to get the deficiency. However, it’s possible for women to get super genes and have 4 types of sensor, making them quadchromats. These ladies can see colours in between two other colours, that no one else can see. However, because the world is built by and for trichromats, this gift goes by largely unknown even by the people who have it.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It is possible for women to be colorblind (if their father is colorblind and their mother is a carrier for the gene).

It is also possible for men to be tetrachromats if they have XXY genes (called Klinefelter syndrome).

• ornery_chemist@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

This is not true. That women cannot have the congenital dichromacy (or anomalous trichromacy) that biological males commonly have is flat out wrong. A biological female can still be a protan or deutan, but the phenotype requires that both X chromosomes carry the recessive color vision-deficient alleles. Nevertheless, given that ~8% of all X chromosomes have such a gene regardless of sex, the incidence in the female population is still around half a percent, which is not insignificant.

Interestingly, one form of tetrachromacy in females actually has the same cause as color vision deficiency in some males (specifically anomalous trichromacy). From what I understand, only one X chromosome is active per cone cell, and which one is active is random. So, half of such a person’s cone cells of one type are “normal” while the rest of that type are anomalous and have a slightly different peak wavelength. The net result is four different types of cone cells, i.e., tetrachromacy, which may have an incidence of more than 10% in females.

• sndrtj@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

X-inactivation is a little bit more complicated than that. While the process of X-inactivation initiation is random, once a cell has settled on one chromosome, all its daughter cells will silence the same chromosome. The initial process happens in the early embryo, so large patches of the body have the same X chromosome silenced.

This pattern is visible in some animals. E.g. a tortoise cat’s pattern arises due to the hair color gene existing on the X chromosome. Consequently, male tortoise cats are rare (XXY, XXXY etc only)

• ornery_chemist@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Neat, thanks for the clarification. Even though the initial proportion is 50/50 for X-activation, are there scenarios where one daughter line is more prominent than the other, or does it usually remain 50/50?

• sndrtj@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Statistics would indicate that that is a plausible scenario.

In addition, a uniparental disomy can occur as well. Here, the X chromosome was duplicated in the egg cell. So the exact same X chromosome is inherited twice.This is an error in meiosis. This could occur in XXX (with the third X from the father’s side), XXY, or even XX. That latter one would be rare, for a uniparental disomy on X without a third sex chromosome would mean both egg and sperm cell had an error during meiosis.

You could also see a single X (Turner Syndrome) as a 100% dominant X-chromosome. But that may be semantics.

• Psythik@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I once knew a girl who was colorblind. Both her parents were too. It’s rare but it can happen.

• joel_feila@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

the gene for red green color blindness is carried on the X chromosome so a woman can have it it is just very rare. Now blue yellow color blindness is much much rarer and carried on a different chromosome so men and women have it equally

• Psythik@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I didn’t know her well enough to ask. She was a friend of a friend, and this was over a decade and a half ago.

• Texas_Hangover@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My daughter has the super eyes. She looooves pointing out different colors that “daddy can’t see!” Lol.

• AeroLemming@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t have this condition, but just guessing: couldn’t you eventually figure it out if you noticed that cameras (which just use RGB) couldn’t capture certain distinct colors that you could see?

• x4740N@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Left is #b100fe and right is #b71cfe

Left is darker than the right one

• Margot Robbie@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I think I read something before about how women’s eyes are better at differentiating colors but men’s eyes are better at detecting movement.

Maybe that’s why I’m always like “how did you not find this thing, it’s sitting right there!” all the time.

• Lemminary@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I think it’s a cultural thing. In uni we had to learn how to titrate to figure out concentrations and we had to look out for sudden color changes to figure out the concentration of a solution. Well, I had a professor who’d constantly revel in the fact that men often had trouble with this, but in a toxic way.

I know that women are constantly exposed to different tones and shades from using makeup. And I understood the assignment because I had studied some graphic design earlier and had to tell colors apart. Whet she didn’t get was that I only needed a color reference all along! I literally did not know what color it was supposed to be and she didn’t bother to explain lol

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

After staring for long enough I’ve decided that left is slightly more purple and right slightly more pink