• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’m a guy, and at first glance, I literally didn’t see a difference. The colors are so close that I just didn’t bother taking the time to actually check if they’re slightly different.

Yeah, if I take the time and look closely, I’ll notice a difference. If I’m decorating a room or something and actively looking at colors, I’ll make sure to grab the same code because someone would notice otherwise, but I’m really good at just ignoring small differences.

And I’m very far from your arrival stereotypical “masculine” man. I spend more time than my wife snuggling with our kids, I hate trucks and love hybrid cars, and I am usually very reserved in public instead of taking up lots of space. So I don’t think I fit those typical gender roles, I just literally don’t care about small differences in color, and I do not notice unless someone points it out.

• FoundTheVegan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Do you see the irony of writing out a few paragraphs so you can explain “not all men have toxic traits” to a woman about why her personal take on patriarchy is flawed? Gender roles are made up BS, so I’m happy you don’t see yourself in that binary. But look how many other men also came to correct me. You have plenty of company saying very simmiliar things.

Not liking trucks or snuggling your kids doesn’t exempt you from possibly picking up culture influences. Look, you don’t have to agree or like my personal opinions. No one does. But I’ve already explained thoughts throughly enouvh yesterday. Go read my other comments if you like, but I’m done talking about this.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

You came out with a gender stereotype (men don’t like decorating), and the response you got was (probably) men explaining how that doesn’t hold. I gave a specific example of why I, as a man, don’t notice slight color differences, and it’s not some macho “decorating is for girls” reason, I literally don’t notice them unless I take the time to look. So it’s less about some cultural aversion and more not noticing stuff I don’t care about. I’m sure you’re the same way in other areas (e.g. my wife doesn’t notice differences in similar looking bicycles, but I do because I care about the domain).

You’re obviously entitled to your own opinions, but if you post them publicly, expect them to be challenged.

And no I don’t see irony here. If I’m going to take the time to write something out online, I’ll be throughout so I’m hopefully less likely to be misunderstood. I do it for pretty much everything, I want to see high quality content, so I try to contribute what i think is high quality.