I saw somewhere, in multiple places, that it does NOT get you higher to hold it in when you inhale. That goes against everything I’ve ever heard of. I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t hold it in with every hit. Is this common?

• GONADS125@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

After about 5 seconds, nearly everything is absorbed. For inhaler meds, doctors will tell you hold for 10 seconds, and longer than that is unnecessary and just results in oxygen deprivation when vaping/smoking.

I don’t feel a difference between 5 and 10 seconds, and weed is no longer hard to come by in my state, so I just shoot for 5 seconds.

• Refurbished Refurbisher@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The majority of THC is absorbed immediately upon inhaling (IIRC the number is 70%), but if you want the best number for average perceived high, hold it for 10 seconds.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

After hearing the “don’t hold it in” thing, I came up with a theory for why it could be true, yet everyone thinks otherwise.

You hold your breath and you’re going longer without more oxygen, or maybe even coughing. Both of those things will make you light headed, or if you’re high, it makes you feel REALLY high.

Just my theory.

• ethman42@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Honestly, I think this is it. My vape pen gets me faded no matter what. If I hold my breath I’m just a little light headed, too

• girl@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is definitely contrary to a lot of anecdotal evidence in my life lol, so I’d be interested to see the science behind this claim. It would make sense that there is a limit at least, like beyond 5 seconds or something your lungs will have absorbed all they can absorb.