• MoogleMaestro@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I imagine they’ll eventually find a way to prevent us from blocking ads. Twitch TV for example has found some ways to make adblock useless.

It’s a shame, and it’s really just a side effect of google racing to the bottom of the adspace game. If ads weren’t as cheap as they are today, they wouldn’t be trying to maximize the amount of users who are forced to see advertisements.

• logicbomb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I suspect ad blocking will always be an arms race. The server can only ask the client to play the ad, and then rely on the client to truthfully report whether it did so.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh, that’s just brilliant! Instead of being interrupted by intrusive ads, I’m seeing videos of fluffy cats doing adorable and funny stuff all the time.

• stardust@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Worst case scenario I think I’d just resort to downloading the videos to watch. Live videos is the challenge, but luckily I don’t watch live streams.

• TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Bruh, your not gonna believe this, but the ducks at the park are free. if you use one of these, you can download all the ducks you want. I downloaded 9000 ducks so far.

• AnonTwo@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

To be fair, he was talking about live streams, as in watching people in real-time.

That can be a fairly different experience, especially since downloaders don’t grab the chat at the moment. Also for unarchived streams, they can only be downloaded if you are aware and able to download at the time that the stream is still active.

• dylanTheDeveloper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

They’ll start banning Google accounts, that’ll stop quite alot of people just because of how many users use gmail or drive.

• Chailles@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I don’t think they’ll resort to that because that would mean getting rid of their own source of income. YouTube may not be getting ad revenue, but they still collect data and that’s where the real value is.